The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have the tie up strap onto the left side where it belongs but I need to attach the cinch to the saddle and I dont know how, and when I google it, it just tells me how to tie up the cinch which is not what I need. Anyone know how :c Its just a long leather strap, no buckle or anything on it but it looks like there should be a buckle as there is marks but my sister who gave me this saddle and everything, said there isn't supposed to be a buckle on it so? I don't know. Help me please :c

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Is there any way you can take a picture of all your tack so we can see what you're working with?

The way I'm getting it pictured is that there might not be an actual cinch on there but just a latigo (the long peice of leather). In which case, you'd need to buy a cinch

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This saddle used to be my uncles, its a pretty old saddle and these were the straps we've always used with them and it worked perfectly fine to be honest. I know it needs new straps but I can't afford them right now, so these will do just fine as they have for the past plenty of years, and I'm not riding anyways as my horse is only 2 years old, I just want to practice putting it on him and getting him used to the tightness.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Like SouthernTrails said, those are far too narrow (the problem with that is that they are more likely to break, especially since they are old, and that would be very traumatic for a young horse) and I suspect they are far too short as well. The one with the buckle actually looks like it might be a stirrup leather off of an English saddle.:?

It doesn't take a whole lot of money to get a decent latigo (either nylon or leather) that will last for years. Since you're not riding anyway, why not just wait until you can afford something that's actually supposed to be used that way instead of risking traumatizing your young horse?
Amazon.com: latigo: Sports & Outdoors

AFTER you get some real latigos, it's not all that complicated to attach them to the saddle. You just tie the end that's doubled over around the front D-rings of the saddle like this
How To Attach a Latigo (cinch strap) to a Saddle
then you proceed to do up the cinch in one of the ways from the link that STGA posted earlier.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
You need to buy an 'off billet', permanently fastened to the saddle and cinch. It is used to fasten the cinch to the right side of the saddle. Here is one sold by country Supply. Cashel Nylon Off Billet - Horse.com

You need a 'tie strap' permanently fastened to the left front rigging ring of the saddle. It is used to fasten the cinch to the left side of the saddle after you put it on the horse. Here is one sold by Country Supply. Cashel Nylon Latigo Tie Strap - Horse.com

The strap in your photo (the one with a buckle) looks like a western bridle throatlatch. The other one is just a piece of leather -- possibly part of a rein. Neither serve any function on a saddle.

·
Registered
531 Posts
the off billet would work good for you like "cherie" said. I myself use a long latigo on both sides if I can get a camera today I will take a few pictures for you.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I would have to agree with what is said above. 10-15 bucks is cheap to prevent a wreck and damage to a saddle.you can buy them at most any tack or farm supply store. Tractor supply has a huge selection of nylon and leather. I keep extra laying around all the time. They come in handy for all kinda of stuff, including keeping a saddle on. Not much to add about the tying of the Latigos. The link pretty much cover it.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Here is a picture of an off side (right side) billet its just a leather or nylon strap folded in half with holes punch in it.
IMG_9505.jpg

here is a nylon long latigo on the near side (left side)
IMG_9518.jpg

Here is a leather near side long latigo. It is not through the slot because we are short on short cinches and I needed it to be a little tighter so I moved it up until I can buy a shorter cinch.
IMG_9519.jpg

I hope this helps feel free to ask any more questions.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
That small leather strap with the buckle is an English iron strap.

It WILL NOT hold a saddle on. Especially if it is old and ESPECIALLY on a young horse.

All he has to do is start bucking or rub it and catch it on the fence and that strap will snap and you'll have yourself a traumatized possibly even injured horse and a broken saddle.

much cheaper to go buy a $15 latigo and off billet

·
Registered
918 Posts
Do you have any pictures of the saddle on the horse?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.