The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you tried U-Gard from SmartPak? It seems to have good reviews. My mare is girthy, kind of irritable, and she's an OTTB so I think it might be ulcers. It doesn't help that she's constantly stalled unless I'm there and she gets fed morning and night but doesn't constantly have access to food. I wish I could but it's just not how the barn works. In May she's moving and will be full time pasture, thankfully, so we just have to survive till then..

smartpakequine.com/ugard-1526p

I was also looking at slippery elm bark powder? I know someone who said they had good results with that. And I was thinking about starting her on raspberry leaves as well.

It's so weird having my own horse and being totally in charge of this, so I really appreciate the input!

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Yes! We give lne of my older mares ugard. Shes an obsessive worrier and gets ulcers alot. It was super hard to get weight on her too because she wasnt eating.
Started her on ugard and it was a complete 180.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
It works well- I noticed that if I don't really ease my horse into it (like, pinches of the powder at a time) he gets bad diarrhea. You could also just buy aloe Vera and slippery elm bark powder in bulk and mix them, as those are two main ingredients that are doing the job.

If you suspect ulcers though I would just treat with omeprazole (compounded, no need for the spendy stuff) and then put her on the u-guard as a preventative. It probably would help clear up ulcers by itself over time, but you will see the effects of omeprazole in one days time. Much more cost effective.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Administrator
36,324 Posts
I use U-Gard when I have my arthritic mare on pain meds for any length of time and it works really well
I've tried all the ulcer stuff and this one seems to be the best of them
She gets really irritable and also touchy about being brushed when she starts with ulcers but within a few days of being on the U-gard she's her normal self again

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I used in on an OTTB gelding that I was also having a hard time getting weight on, and was also girthy. As soon as I started him on it he got easier to tack up and also started to gain weight, so I think that it works.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered some for her yesterday. I put the saddle on her today, with no girth, just to see how it fits (I'm trying to find the correct half pad to use with it..) and she did nooott want it on her back. She was a little up today anyways, and is rather sensitive to new things, but I was surprised. :( She has no problems eating, but brushing/girthing/saddling is sensitive. I hope it helps!

·
Administrator
36,324 Posts
Looby didn't have an ulcer problem and enjoys being brushed but was very twitchy with the saddle and girth until I changed for a sheepskin pad (which I call a numnah!!) and a sheepskin lined girth.
We had the same problem with an OTTB we once had

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Have you had your saddle checked for fit by a professional? That sounds like it might be a saddle fit issue and if she is a sensitive type she may simply be becoming resentful to the pain caused by a poorly fitted saddle. Horses with ulcers will often drink lots and lots of water to try and sooth the pain.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I want to have it checked, but I have yet to find anyone in the eastern Kentucky area for my old, generic saddle.

She does drink a ton of water, but I was told she's just been like that.. Though who knows, with her previous owner.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
If she drink lots of water (buckets a day), then that could be a good indicator of ulcers. Horses that are stalled and don't have constant access to hay are at a higher risk, OTTBs are at a higher risk as well. I would give the u-gard a try. If that doesn't help you may need to get a vet involved.

Schleese has some really good saddle fitting videos on youtube that you should check out to help rule out saddle fitting issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.