The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across an ad on craigslist (i need to stay off of there!) for a horse listed for $1. Heck, i'll just let the link do the talking.

15 yr old mare

It just so happens this mare is right down the street about 10 minutes.

I have Floyd who has a bad leg, i really can't take in another horse. Not only do i not have the space, but i don't have an endless budget to take in as many horses as have needed me this year and it's really starting to bother me. I have emailed just to find out more info for her. If they're giving her away, i may be able to find somebody to take her in and get her fattened up.

I want to be able to help more horses!!! I don't have the room to bring her here but i just wanna go scoop her up. :cry:

I could try to educate, but they're selling the mare. What if the wrong person gets her, since she's practically free (i don't see anybody paying money for her)?

I think i need to be locked away before I do any more damage to myself. I think i should just call myself a "Rescue" and be done with it. Get myself a website, a name, and finally get some recognition for all the horses (and other animals for that matter) that i am able to help each year. :D

Any advice? I know this is mostly a rant, but i would like somebody to talk sense into me before I go pick her up right now :wink: Technically I *could* get her (I could keep her at a friends, or my guys parents), and she'd be in a better situation than she obviously is now - But i shouldn't, i have enough on my plate. The pictures were in the winter so i'm trying not to judge too harshly, maybe they had just gotten her? We'll find out i guess... in the mean time, i'll think about how thin she may be now... if her knee hasn't been treated... if she's in pain... oh boy...

:hide:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I talked to this person via email.

He says the horses knee "probably just needs drained". :shock:

He said she's a "1/4 horse mare" which i took as Quarter horse. Has no idea on her size or anything like that.

So i asked how much he's asking for her, and urged him to try to get a vet out asap. I said I (and anybody else for that matter) would be more likely to take the mare if there was a diagnosis for the knee. I told him I would consider taking her if he can't manage to get a vet out to look at her, depending on the price involved. I really hope he's not going to ask somebody to pay for this horse, she's skinny and has a bad knee. He said it's just getting worse and worse. Blah blah blah - call the vet! Don't just try to sell her. Gosh.

People make me angry. I also asked if he's doing anything for her, or has tried anything yet. I'm sure i know what the answer to that is.:-?

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Be careful. There are stories frequently of rescues needing rescue-ing because they took on more horses than they can handle. It's a bad time for horses. Just pass the link around and try to build a bigger network of contacts. Hopefully you can get her in a good home.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Squeek, you sound just like me! I can't tell you the number of times I have been tempted to take on another horse in need. Just a couple of weeks ago I got a text asking if I would take a 17 yr old half blind standardbred otherwise he was going to slaughter. As much as I would have liked to, I couldn't justify bringing on another troubled horse.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've just discussed this situation with my other half, and showed him the ad. He wants to go look at her and assess the situation. We'll figure out some way to help, if the guy doesn't have hay/grain we could give him some. We do our own hay bailing, and our county is experiences a shortage of GOOD quality hay. His dad went to look at two places advertising "horse" hay and it was just terrible, terrible quality. He said depending on the situation, if he'll consider just giving her to us, we would take her and try to find her a good home. My lovely boyfriend is even more of a softy than me.

I guess we're just gonna evaluate further and see what we can do.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I am happy to hear that you care so much for horses who need help. I wish I had my own pasture and barn, I would be taking in as many as i can and getting them all better :), good luck and good job for caring!

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
As stated above, it is very easy to find yourself in way over your head when you let your heart lead you in these situations. The sad fact is, there are far more animals (not just horses) in need of homes than there are homes able to provide for them. Good intentions only take you so far.
The best thing you can do for animals in need is to assure you don't contribute to the problem. Figure out exactly how much you are honestly capable of (as in the number of horses you can completely and properly care for - not just financially, consider the time you need to obligate, etc) and stick to that. You won't be doing anyone any favors by taking on more than you can handle.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I definitely don't want to take on more than i can handle. I don't have the ability to keep multiple horses long term if they are unusable, as bad as that sounds. Otherwise she would be eating a good meal in my barn right now! I haven't heard back from the guy about going to look at her, and I cannot get her off my mind. Knowing that she's right here, somewhere, in my tiny itty bitty town just weighs on my mind heavily. I'm scared to see what she looks like now, but i hope to God she looks BETTER and not worse than the pictures from February.

For some reason, just looking at her reminds me of when we went to look at my Appy mare who passed in 2009. It was the local Sheriffs horse. He had two for his daughters. They were incredibly thin, old, and decrepit. I was very young at the time and could not understand why my mother wanted to buy them. She said to me "Honey, sometimes a horse may not look very pretty on the outside, but inside she's the best horse you could ever ask for." And it was so true. That 25 year old funky looking Appaloosa became my best friend. When we came home with her my stepdad saw her and said "Well, i am NOT digging the hole." But within 3 months she looked young, and vibrant, and she lived for many years. She died at 34 years of age without any warning, i just found her one morning.

I have been a sucker for needy horses ever since, and i'm thankful I got to share her life. My only regret is that I didn't meet her sooner.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Just keep in mind that you can't save them all. Sometimes just forwarding the add on to local horse friends will end up helping the horse find a new home.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No it's Ohio, sorry!

Going to check her out now, he says her names Cheyenne. Will update when we get back.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, we're back.

I'm soaking wet from head to toe (it's pouring rain), i am cranky, and i'm appalled.

This horse is out in a muddy lot with TWO Mustang colts. COLTS. She said they're going to be three in a few months.

She is skinny, though not quite as bad as the pictures. They said they got her that way. They have NO shelter. None. Not even any trees. They are giving her away because she's become too expensive. Too expensive because they had the Amish come float her teeth and trim her feet, and they wormed her. They've had her since January, and got her at the auction. Sigh.

She was not in any way lame at the walk or trot, but her knees look kinda funky. She's got so much hair, and it was so wet and muddy, it was hard to really tell. The other two horses were in okay shape, and they said they are going to be building a run-in for them. He's got lumber, and has started building a corral. I think a barn should come before a corral, but whatever. They seemed like they had decent intentions, but they don't need horses. She said the two mustang colts are wild and were given to her, so they just put up a fence last minute. Then they decided to buy this mare at auction because she was skinny. Some people just shouldn't try to do a good deed if they really don't have the means. These people weren't living in very good conditions themselves, and i think the last thing they need to worry about is horses and corrals and barns.

It was quite traumatizing for me. She's a very sweet horse, but I don't know what to do at this point. She's gonna need her knees checked, she's gonna have to be checked for pregnancy, and should be aborted. I'm making calls, i'm reaching out to anyone i can. We're gonna pull her out of there in the next few days, it's just a matter of where she's going at this point. My other half is ready to just build another stall and bring her here. I'm trying to figure something else out for her, because the last thing we need is another lame horse. But, i'll do whatever i have to do.

The people seem nice, and have good intentions, but i'm still sick to my stomach.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Sounds to me like you are running a rescue...ever thought of filing for a non-profit status and then doing the website and such? I bet you'd be good at it and I bet you will find more people out here than you know that would love to help you.

As for the mare, it sounds like you might luck out and she might not be as bad as these people think she is and might not have any permanent lameness. I know from experience that inexperienced horse people always think things are much much worse with a horse than they actually are.

If you do take her in, maybe set up a donation site so some of us can help donate to her cause :) I think Paypal has an ap to do it with. I have seen it done in other instances - for example google "Amigo one amazing horse" and you will see what a web page, etc did for them....

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have thought about that. Word gets around about us and what we do, in this area. I get a lot of calls from people knowing of somebody who can't care for their horse anymore, or it's the person calling in the bind. We'll find out their situation. If it is a temporary funk, we'll give them some hay. Things like that. I try to do what i can for horses, but i'm more into the dog rescue/rehab (I almost always have a foster dog). It's just who we are, it's always been like that! I am by NO means well off, especially now that i don't have a job. How we live is for the animals, not for us. We put everything we have into them. If i could make it official, that would be awesome. Eventually i won't be able to do any more at the rate it's been going lately. Maybe in the near future we'll make it official, we'll see how things go. Last year we rehomed 3 horses. We have decided to keep the last few we took in, which makes it harder because we don't really have the room for more. Feeding them isn't a huge deal, we share hay with the guys parents, we all pitch in and bale his land every year. I always have some left over, so i know i can spare some for people who need it, even if it's just enough to get them by for a week.

I do what i can. I will get this poor girl out of there asap. It's wet, it's windy, and it's cold. And she has no shelter. She may not be a super old horse, but she should not be out in this weather in her condition.

Let me see what happens when we get her here, and if she's really bad off once we get a better look at her legs, i'll definitely look into setting up a page for her for anyone who would like to donate :) With Floyd and his chronic issue (Ringbone) - it's gonna be quite taxing on us to take her on if we can't find anyone else to. Everything comes out of our own pockets, but rest assured i wouldn't consider doing it if anyone (people and animals included) would have to suffer for it.

Consider Cheyenne (I really don't like that name for her!!) saved. We're picking her up Thursday.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Bravo Squeak!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Squeek, contact Lisa over at Frog Pond Farm Draft horse rescue. She can help you get started with doing rescue and can get the word out about horses in need. She is awesome! Frog Pond Farm ™ Draft Horse Rescue I think is her site.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys. And thanks for the link!

We're picking her up tomorrow. I've had a stressful day trying to coordinate with the vet to meet me there and do an exam. Although she's supposedly been there since January and they've had no other horses coming and going, i want to be safe. But no, they can't do it. Too hard on them. I've had it! I was trying to give them another chance after the recent fiasco, but no. I'm done!!! I've forked over way too much money to them over the last 5 years for them to basically tell me that i'm silly, and I can just wait until we get her here and they have free time to do it. No. End rant.

Anyway, we're getting her tomorrow one way or the other. I've worked my butt off to set up an area of the barn for her. She's going to be away from the other horses(which i didn't like at first, but now I do!), in our hay storage area. We built a stall for her there, until she can get checked over, fed up, and turned out to enjoy some nice warm sunshine with some new friends :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.