The Horse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have to vent a little...so I apologize LOL

I just picked up 4 bales of timothy hay..and guess what the total price was???? $91.80...yep thats right I pay between $80-$90 evey month for 4 bales of hay! crazy huh. The things we do for our horses!

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I pay $3 a bale for top quality alfalfa hay. I could probably UPS you 4 bales for less than you paid. Why is it so expensive?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pay $3 a bale for top quality alfalfa hay. I could probably UPS you 4 bales for less than you paid. Why is it so expensive?

well here in the part of GA we are in you can't buy timothy hay and the only feed store we have found that will get it in for us gets it shipped in from Semionle in Canada so we are paying for the freight and the weight of the bales. We have looked all over the area for someone who carries Timothy but have not had any luck except this one little feed store that is also almost an hr drive out of our way so on top of paying those prices we have to drive and use gas..LOL...I was thinking of bringing hay from back home (Maryland) but we have no place to store it..I can get the same type of hay for $2.50-$3 a bale....very upsetting sometimes.

Im assuming large bales? My horses go through like 10-15 bales a month.
Their not very large probably 40-50 lbs bales. Its not their primary source of hay the boarding barn gives them coastal hay for their feedings we give them the timothy in the evening after we are done at the barn visiting! so we dont give it to them every day probably 4 maybe 5 times a week they get the timothy.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
why do they get it all the way up in canada? to me that seems like alot of extra cost, when you can probably get it from any state around you.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
why do they get it all the way up in canada? to me that seems like alot of extra cost, when you can probably get it from any state around you.

I agree it does seem a bit crazy to get it in Cananda. I'm not sure to be totally honest I never asked really. I dont knwo if thats where Seminole grows their hay? I know she said it's Seminole hay so maybe thats where they grow their hay?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
could be. we have a guy who gets his from canada as well, he cant even tell me how much it will be per bale till he gets the shipping bill. He does a shipment at a time and gets more when thats sold, so if he ends up with a bad load no one gets hay. Id rather find somewere I know ahead of time how much I am spending.

·
Super Moderator
26,567 Posts
I get the big round bales for $50 per bale. I store them in the barn and peel them morning and night. They last about 3 weeks to a month doing it that way (I'd get about 10 days and a ton of waste in the field). I pay $9 per bale for alfalfa. There is a local farmer that sells squares of timothy/orchard grass for about $5 per bale. If you go to the feed store it's $16 for alfalfa and $7 for timothy. What a racket... supply and demand is all I have to say....

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
could be. we have a guy who gets his from canada as well, he cant even tell me how much it will be per bale till he gets the shipping bill. He does a shipment at a time and gets more when thats sold, so if he ends up with a bad load no one gets hay. Id rather find somewere I know ahead of time how much I am spending.
that is how it is with this feed store. We dont know the price until we pick it up pretty much. It goes by weight of the bale so I guess these bales weighed more than the last ones I bought since I paid $10 more this time.

It cost $100 for a round bale of Alfalfa Timothy Mix, and it's 1200 pounds.
I can't buy round bales becaue I board and I have no place to store it at my house other than my garage and that is already full with our crap LOL

I get the big round bales for $50 per bale. I store them in the barn and peel them morning and night. They last about 3 weeks to a month doing it that way (I'd get about 10 days and a ton of waste in the field). I pay $9 per bale for alfalfa. There is a local farmer that sells squares of timothy/orchard grass for about $5 per bale. If you go to the feed store it's $16 for alfalfa and $7 for timothy. What a racket... supply and demand is all I have to say....
that is a good way of doing it! I had thought about asking the BO if I could buy a round bale and put out in the paddock for my horse but the problem is there are differnet horses out in the same paddock different times of the day. Classy is put out during the day and then brough tin at night and another horse gets put out in her paddock in the evening so I would be buying hay for other peoples horses and there is no paddocks for her to be able to have all to herself :(

·
Registered
301 Posts
:shock:WHOA! That's a lot! How big are the bales?? I just paid $12.00 a bale for pretty Timothy here in SC - it has to be trucked in, so hence the price tag - when I lived in PA I never paid such high prices for Timothy - makes me cry! I could get Coastal for a fair price, but my horses cannot eat it (colic issues) - I know where you are coming from but I guess we're stuck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts