The Horse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at my wits end with these little demons.

I can keep the smaller ones under control with masks, fly spray, and a fly trap. The larger horse flies seems fazed by nothing. I am not sure what to do. It is too hot for fly sheets unfortunately. My black filly can't wear them. I kill them as I see them; she even turns her butt towards me when theres a horse fly on it because she knows I'll kill it.

Any suggestions? I could not even ride a few nights ago b/c the horse flies were so bad that my gelding couldn't concentrate. Grr.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Last year I found the pro force fly spray in red bottle kept horse flies away. We could get in a ride with horses not being bothered by the darn bugs. This year it didn't seem to work so go figure. Horse flies and deer flies have disappeared for the year now!

To give my horses relief from them during the day I put them in dark barn. The ******s won't go into a dark barn.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
no help or suggestions, we are having one of the worst years for flies, they drive the horses crazy and spray doesn't seem to help, they can come into the barn at the back as we have two big run ins, one on the north side and one on the south with big open doors so they get a nice cross draft and are comfortable there.
Without this we would have to put them in during the day but no nice cross wind with for them then.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
The last two years for us have been horrific for flies: Black cattle flies. And our horses are destroyers of blankets and fly sheets.

Best we can do is round them up about once a week and spray them good with TriTec and pray for an early autumn.

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
I cover their butts for riding and swat the ones that land on their neck since I can see those right away. Years ago I found the butt covers in a supply magazine but can't remember which one. Before that I'd drape a large towel over their hiney and secure it to the saddle by tying two of the towel's corners to the saddle. Not under saddle they are on their own because I've never found a fly spray that works for those ******s.

·
Banned
742 Posts
Maybe try this.
Most farm stores sell these reusable fly traps, basically a large plastic jar, the top center pulls up exposing holes so flys go in but can't figure out how to get back out.
My wife makes the "soup". It's a concoction of some beer, dark sugar soda and teaspoon of sugar. The mixture depends on what you want to catch.
We had trouble with Bell Hornets on front porch, and you see this works for that! It's just three days worth!
About once a week, dump, hose out, refill.
Flys like soda, little extra sugar.
What you with flys is put a few in, dead or alive. Once others catch the scent the party begins. It catches them like...flies!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

This is my first time posting in a horse forum, but I saw the question regarding flies and wanted to let you know what works for us.

It is going to sound silly, but you will be SHOCKED how well it works because I was!

* Zip lock bag filled 1/2 to 3/4 way with water.
* Add about 20 or so Pennies in it. Only use pennies.
* Hang it where horses can't reach it. (I hung one above all 3 barn doors to the outside and if the season is really bad I also hang one just outside their stables)
* Replace with new water and coins if you start seeing flies again. I can't tell you the last time I saw a fly in the barn. The barn is in Massachusetts and has 7 large stables, a large storage area, and a bathing area.

This trick works for both Mini horses and Large horses.

I hope this helps you as well.

Tina

·
Registered
14,644 Posts
Heat & flies? I wish! Frost & cold but no insects, too cold for them.

·
Banned
43 Posts
what i did

I am at my wits end with these little demons.

I can keep the smaller ones under control with masks, fly spray, and a fly trap. The larger horse flies seems fazed by nothing. I am not sure what to do. It is too hot for fly sheets unfortunately. My black filly can't wear them. I kill them as I see them; she even turns her butt towards me when theres a horse fly on it because she knows I'll kill it.

Any suggestions? I could not even ride a few nights ago b/c the horse flies were so bad that my gelding couldn't concentrate. Grr.
when I had this problem I bought a fly attracter thing so you put them up in fields and the flies and gravitate to it, so all the flies are over there. this worked well for me so maybe try something like that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts