The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I LOVE my spayed mare, she is still sweet but has no behavior of a mare at all. Acts like a gelding. When I first got her last year, she would squeal, kick out at the other horses, squeel at other mares, typical behavior in heat. Peeing all the time, lifting her tail. Got her spayed in November, this year not ONE second of mare attitude. I can lead other horses behind her when she would pin her ears and kick and squeel before.
I have had ALL my mares spayed, about 5 in all. Would not own a mare without spaying her and since there are so many unwanted horses and foal everywhere, that way I don't worry about breeding by accidents or anything.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I love my mare. She shows NO heat signs, no squealing no kicking no peeing evey step, no attitude change, no being bitchy to other horses, she is just like a gelding, but she is not spayed, she could still have babies. But yes, if you have a mare that i just a royal whitch when she is in heat, spaying will make her just like a gelding. Wyominggrandma, how much does spaying cost???

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
We spay them here at the clinic I work for, its around $600 total. That includes surgery, anesthestic, antibiotics, pain meds, etc. Once they go home(they usually stay for 3 days) then they will need more antibiotics for about 2 weeks, no riding for about 5 weeks. Thats why I had it done in November, no riding cause of the snow anyway.
My vet does it rectal/vaginal, no incisions. Its all done inside the mare while she is standing sedated in stocks.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
If you still want the breeding option, there are supplements that can help your mare through her heat cycle. I've never tried them, I've heard they're iffy. You CAN buy shots though that make the mare go out of heat and we use them for show days. I'm sure it wouldn't be healthy in the end to give her shots EVERY TIME she came in :/
To be honest I'm kinda witchy when it's that time of month so I can sympathize. ;) They always look so miserable :(

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I think it definitely depends on the individual horse, some are just crabbier than others lol, but just like dogs and cats, spaying will definitely rule out hormones as being the cause of a witchy or crazy or mean mare. I personally don't mind so much so I have no want or desire to spend the extra money to spay a mare unless there was something wrong with her the required it. We have a mare at my new barn who is crazy when she is in heat, which is 90% of the time (she's one I think could seriously benefit from being spayed), and they give her a hormonal shot or something every few months, and she supposedly does fine, no side effects and acts like a normal nice mare, but it's probably pretty costly, and is not a permanent means of fixing the problem, but it works for those particular owners. Honestly if you have a mare, and you don't want to deal with her bad attitude, I'd go with spaying her.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
My mare spreads her legs EVERY time she see's another horse. Allways peeing. Such a hoe. lol. But she's a good horse. Can be b**chy towards other horses but a good girl in general. Oh she's not spayed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you still want the breeding option, there are supplements that can help your mare through her heat cycle. I've never tried them, I've heard they're iffy. You CAN buy shots though that make the mare go out of heat and we use them for show days. I'm sure it wouldn't be healthy in the end to give her shots EVERY TIME she came in :/
To be honest I'm kinda witchy when it's that time of month so I can sympathize. ;) They always look so miserable :(
See, this is kinda weird, but my mare is a SWEETHEART when she is in heat, but she's a witch when she's not in heat... She's so complicated!! So would spaying her really help her if shes like that in heat???

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
We have three mares and none have every been mare-ish. The only problem we ever have is riding them past the pasture of boys....they all line up and follow us along the fence.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I didn't realize that spaying was even an option for horses. I always thought it was too dangerous to even bother w/out any serious medical reason where they would need it removed for another purpose.

Typical "mare" behavior is much less charming when your sweet gelding is on the receiving end of it *sulks* Dealing with that now, really soured me to the whole idea of mares, haha.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
You want 'uncharming mare behavior'? You should see Loki's dam when she's in heat :lol:

The owner (friend of mine) saddled her up for a quick ride. The mare kept trying to pee on the geldings face (almost did!), constantly tail lifting, winking, trying to stuff her butt INTO his face. She does it when she's pregnant too, her name is Jezebel for a reason :roll:

Otherwise, sweet mare. She doesn't get witchy, but she will try to rape every other horse in sight.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
the actual surgery is not dangerous, of course anytime you do surgery something can happen. The danger is bleeding, because the surgery is done "blind" the vets have to do everything by feel. Once they locate the ovary rectally , they make a small slit, bring the ovary through the slit, then use an eclasier and clamp off the ovary, then bring it out... It is done by feel, so there is a slight risk of getting the artery and if that happens the horse would bleed to death in minutes. I know it goes happen, but very very rare, especially if the vet doing the procedure has done it alot. The mare is standing in the stocks and under a mild sedative, then a block is done at her tail.
Some vets will lay the mare down and do it just like a dog spay.
Course horses have died being gelded also, so yes there is a risk, but not a high one.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Interesting and good to know! It's still fairly uncommon though right? This is honestly the first I've heard of it. Very cool that it can be done less invasively. I always was under the impression it was just like spaying a dog/small animal and required this whole huge procedure, hospitalization and that it was dangerous and expensive and it just "was not done."

Cool if that's changed or if I just was clueless :D Sounds so much better than laying them down in an OR and slicing them open! I wonder why it's no done more often!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I wonder why it's no done more often!
It's pretty darn expensive and still a good bit more invasive than gelding a horse, that's why. >_<

A lot of people with the money to spend on spaying their mare have a really nicely bred mare that would be a pity not ever to be able to breed.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I do have a very nicely bred true blue roan mare that is a registered quarter horse. I chose to spay her, and I chose to not produce foals from her, although I had stallion owners wanting to breed to her. Its not a pity to not breed a mare, just because a mare can produce doesn't mean she has to.
Spaying is about $600, its not over the top expensive. There are oodles and oodles of well trained mares for sale at cheap prices because of the in heat issues. So a person does have the ability to buy a mare cheap, spend the extra money it would cost to buy a gelding of the same caliber and spay the mare.
Spaying is done alot in Wyoming, Utah, and the pacific northwest. Most people just don't realize it can be done.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.