The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
36,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the latest World Championships looming it was nice to see this brief look back in time at Beethoven the last British Horse to win the title back in 1970 when David Broome took over the ride on him - Douglas Bunn shown in the video who bought and owned the horse died in 2009 age 81. He was the founder of the great Hickstead showjumping course in the UK which America's George Morris once described as a 'magic carpet'
How times have changed - getting on a totally strange horse without a helmet, the price of horses and saddles and the amazing baggy breeches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbYGInK8_Z0

·
Premium Member
16,046 Posts
Heck, that ages me!
Those jodhpurs were so itchy, cavalry twill, mostly wool, leather patches at the knees. They were no better being dry cleaned than washed because the leather always got stiff. Only good thing about them was that they were warm in winter.

I remember Dougie Bunn competing, and many of the old ones! George Hobbs, David Broome, Pat Smythe, Harvey Smith, Harry Llewellin, Alan Oliver and Peter Robeson, to name a few.
I remember Peter Robeson getting on a horse at a clinic, no hat and a cigarette in his mouth, and jumping it over a 4' square fence, without the ash on his cigarette falling off!

Show jumping was very different in those days. Much more fun too with horses that had plenty of character. Now the courses are so technical that all the horses have to be so well schooled and so precise they are all more or less the same.

·
Administrator
36,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got an awful photo of me wearing old style jodhpurs - it was taken by someone kneeling on the ground and my face looks a really odd shape - well that's my explanation anyway!!!
Bob Ellis (course builder) used to compete at local shows where I lived when he was young and his boots always looked a few sizes too big.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Bob Ellis (course builder) used to compete at local shows where I lived when he was young and his boots always looked a few sizes too big.
Bob Ellis is ace! I worked at Horse of the Year Show last year with him, he's absolutely hysterical! Been there, done that, and a great laugh to work with. He used to click at us like horses when we'd be running out with jump wings and poles, he usually got the finger or a swear word in return :lol:

In all seriousness, he was a great guy to work with, he was under a hell of a lot of pressure most of the time, and he never snapped at us once, and always had a lovely word to say.

The kind of courses we were building:

*insert joke about equiners trying to learn a course*

Reactions: jaydee

·
Administrator
36,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He was always a really nice person and had a great eye for a stride even when he was young.
I'm sure a few people laughed when he said he was going into course building - not so much now!!!

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Oh how I wish that horse things only cost that much nowadays :/ I'd have all sorts of custom saddles, and a few more horses... Interesting video!

I noticed towards the end of the video that they threw the saddle on without a pad... were saddle pads not considered a staple piece of tack back in the day? I understand that they aren't really NECESSARY except to provide a bit of padding and keep sweat off of the saddle, but I never see anyone riding without one nowadays.

·
Administrator
36,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We did have numnah's (saddle pads) when I was a child I can recall a phase that we all went through with matching coloured stuff including nylon reins that stretched and stretched!!! A lot more saddles were custom made though so they did fit beautifully and it was never correct to have a numnah under your saddle in a showing class and you still see that

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.