The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted about thinking my horse had ulcers, threatening to buck, head flinging when cued to a faster gait, rushing around with her head in the air, grinding her teeth, this is all only when under saddle. This is a saddle I've ridden in for three years with her, without an issue.

But I lunged her thinking if it was ulcers she would react badly with transitions too. But nope, fine walk, trot and even cantered a little for me. A little fast and high headed but it was windy and cold.

Tried the accupression points, nothing, vets don't scope for ulcers here (no equipment) it's always treat to see what happens. Problem is Spice won't take the stuff they carry (a liquid/paste), they said they could compound it (make a powder) but it would cost a lot more than if I just order it myself some where. Vet thinks it's worth a try to treat ulcers, especially without her reacting to tests for pain or soreness.

Checked the saddle, it is fine a little wide, put a small towel and makes it pretty much perfect, sweat pattern in the shape of the bars (or close to), can run my hands equally under the saddle every where with or without pad. I thought maybe she doesn't like the wool pad and plan to put a thin cotton one under it, and doesn't make a difference. I plan on buying a new saddle next spring but just don't have money now after losing 25 bales of hay.

Teeth were checked and given an A plus. No apparent back pain, slight Stifle issue but clears up once moving and warmed up. Always has hay in from of her, with only a small amount of pelleted feed to keep weight on.

Sorry I would have posted on the old thread but it wouldn't let me for some reason (think it's my computer, it's having issues of it's own). Any suggestions, the vet doesn't have any.

·
Registered
254 Posts
My gelding got ulcers a while ago and he lost weight and had bad lower back pain but if you want to treat for ulcers this is what I used: Ranitidine - Equine Pharmacy from SmartPak Equine. I bought it from my vet, but I see it on many sites for sale. You may need a vet's prescription.

A recommendation: My mare is doing the same thing all the time and has been checked by saddle fitters, farriers, vets, chiros, the works and all is fine. I'm currently trying Mare Magic to see if there is any difference with that, 60 days for only $17 its worth a shot. Sorry I'm not too much help :) Mare Magic - Horse.com

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
Are you sure the saddle isn't sitting on her withers or jamming her shoulder blades? As horses age, the body and muscle changes, even when coming out of winter fat and becoming fit. Either she has pain issues or she's testing you, hoping to get out of work. If you are doing basically arena work, it might be time to hit the trails for a mental refresher.

·
Banned
1,653 Posts
You could very well have a saddle fit issue are you sure your saddle isnt sitting on her withers. Being to wide can also cause issues.

Her issues sound like ill fitting saddle issues not ulcers,my horse has had ulcers before. Or could be shes totally bored riding in arena. Take her trail riding for a while see if that changes her attitude.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
She's same on the trail except a little faster (she loves trail rides), the saddle diffidently doesn't sit on her withers, it's only a little too wide 6.75" wide gullet when she should have 6.5" so it pinches a little but if she doesn't have a padded up in the front a little bit. Bars are the right angle for her. Acts the same with an English saddle that fits great without any thing extra. The western one is the same saddle I've used for three years without a problem, she's lost a little weight which is why I think it is too wide now. But I can't really afford to have two saddles for each change of 50 pounds.

Ranitidine is actually more expensive per dose than other ulcer treatments here, even through a vet.

Than again I might just sell this saddle and take off the winter from riding and wait until I can buy a new one, in the mean time I'll check the saddle over again. It should be easy to move a used western saddle around here though.

Anyone have a suggestion on a western saddle, 15", semi quarter bars, 6.5" gullet width, minimum 7 1/2" gullet height, no longer than 25" skirt, also needs to have curved to the front of the bars because she has big shoulders movement, and rock to the shape but not too much. Under $700, can be bought in Canada, used isn't an option because there is none around here and people don't have a clue how to measure a saddle.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Succeed has a test in the 30.00 range that you can check the manure and see if there is blood and get an idea if ulcers are present.

·
Banned
1,653 Posts
If it pinches a little then it doesnt fit that will make a horse misbehave under saddle. Both my paint horse and my quarter horse take full quarter horse bars saddles.

Both when younger a semi quarter horse bars fit for first three years changed on the fourth year. So just because one saddle fit for three years doesnt mean it will fit later.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Please read the full thing, it doesn't pinch with a built up pad, she's 14 years old, sure hope she isn't growing now, I couldn't correct the spelling errors before the edit disappeared. I don't have $600 plus for a new saddle every time she loses a few pounds, and sure can't afford to have two saddles. I put the saddle for sale any how, and I'll have to take the winter off of riding until I can afford another.

·
Banned
1,653 Posts
She's same on the trail except a little faster (she loves trail rides), the saddle diffidently doesn't sit on her withers, it's only a little too wide 6.75" wide gullet when she should have( 6.5" so it pinches a little but if she doesn't have a padded up in the front a little bit. )Bars are the right angle for her. Acts the same with an English saddle that fits great without any thing extra. The western one is the same saddle I've used for three years without a problem, she's lost a little weight which is why I think it is too wide now. But I can't really afford to have two saddles for each change of 50 pounds.

Ranitidine is actually more expensive per dose than other ulcer treatments here, even through a vet.

Than again I might just sell this saddle and take off the winter from riding and wait until I can buy a new one, in the mean time I'll check the saddle over again. It should be easy to move a used western saddle around here though.

Anyone have a suggestion on a western saddle, 15", semi quarter bars, 6.5" gullet width, minimum 7 1/2" gullet height, no longer than 25" skirt, also needs to have curved to the front of the bars because she has big shoulders movement, and rock to the shape but not too much. Under $700, can be bought in Canada, used isn't an option because there is none around here and people don't have a clue how to measure a saddle.

Read your own post says right in this post it pinches a little if she doesnt have it padded up a little bit. Well paddeding up a pinching saddle only makes it worse.So re read what you typed. If it doesnt pinch then dont say that.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry misunderstanding, it pinching because the bars are slightly too wide, the saddle slides back to fit a wider part of her back, making more weight shift to the front of the bars. With a built up pad it makes behind her shoulders wider and the saddle stay forward and not pinching. It is not too narrow and pinching which in that case it would be making it even more uncomfortable.

·
Banned
1,653 Posts
Sorry misunderstanding, it pinching because the bars are slightly too wide, the saddle slides back to fit a wider part of her back, making more weight shift to the front of the bars. With a built up pad it makes behind her shoulders wider and the saddle stay forward and not pinching. It is not too narrow and pinching which in that case it would be making it even more uncomfortable.
No problem i understand now so not a saddle issue then could very well be an ulcer issue. Hindgut ulcers are also possible if you feed a high startch surgar diet. Every horse shows diffrent sytoms my boy gets super cinchy and grumpy.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
It could very well be a mixture of both things, but the fact that you said she only acts like that under saddle and not lunging makes me think it is a saddle issue as well. Even lunging the paces (especially faster paces) would be uncomfortable for her.

If you are trying an ulcer guard or something of the like, get the compounded version as it's so much cheaper and does the same thing. After it's all over might be worthwhile to put her on a supplement that reduces ulcers from forming and get a nice saddle fitting in. It's incredible how much a horse's back and muscles can change in a year or so. Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.