The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, i'm new here my horse has been diagnosed with ulcers. My vet prescribed omeprazole it is very expensive, I have seen generic brands for quite a bit less, anyone have any luck with them. Any info is appreciated. Thanks

·
Administrator
36,087 Posts
I know you can buy it off prescription from most online horse sites - you'd have to check the strength against the prescription one as if you have to double the does you wont be saving anything
You can buy omeprazole as sold for humans 'off the shelf' in most pharmacies and that might be cheaper, again check the strength and if its the same you can work out the dose you need quite easily.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
the aloe is a fantastic idea but may or may not help depending on the severity of the ulcers. i've even tried aloe with throat coat tea with no noticeable affects.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Use a papaya supplement in the grain. The horses love it, and it is great for all parts of the digestive tract. One of my mares is on it for her ulcers, the other gets a little so that her stools will be a bit firmer. The stuff I order is called Natural Plan Stomach Soother.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of your help, I searched google and was directed to a bunch of sites I decided to try this site equineelitesolutions.com they had the best price on omeprazole $15 per tube which has 2 doses or 15 tubes @ $180 I will let you know how it works thanks again

·
Registered
20 Posts
Best way to use Omeprazole for Horses

Good morning, i'm new here my horse has been diagnosed with ulcers. My vet prescribed omeprazole it is very expensive, I have seen generic brands for quite a bit less, anyone have any luck with them. Any info is appreciated. Thanks
For stomach ulcers we strongly recommend Omeprazole Paste 2.3 gr which comes in a 4 dose tube. This oral paste will help with poor condition, dull coat, and loss of appetite as well. This product may be used with other vitamins and supplements that we market. The faster you respond to equine stomach ulcers, also called equine gastric ulcer syndrome or EGUS, the greater your chance of reducing the painful and damaging effects of this serious condition. That's why accurate and timely diagnosis is critical and why it's important to begin a treatment program that can both treat stomach ulcers. Please let us know if there are any further questions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.