The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
It's possible. We would need to hear more about lifestyle/health history/worming history/etc.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Depends....we need to know about the horses history, what he currently does for a job, is he alone, worm schedules, ect. Because many factors come into play as to why a horse gets ulcers.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She was getting regular exercise being ridden by a trainer. Worked 5 days a week about 30 mins but pretty intense. Had some issues and all of a sudden out of the blue started bucking. Was a dream worker previously. Had the chiro out and has had two adjustments in about six weeks. Worked on hills and backing and took about three weeks off.

She's back to riding lightly but still is not happy. Demeanor has changed and just "looks" crabby. Not bucking but wondering now if it is also ulcers. On regular worming regimen but hasn't been fecal tested lately.

She's in with 5 others on round bale that is switched out between alfalfa and grass hay.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I would have her vetted. Could be ulcers, could be something else. The only way to know for sure if it's ulcers is to have her scoped.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rather than spending a boatload of money on a scope I think I will try Rantidine for a couple of days and see if there is any improvement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just started treating my senior horse for ulcers. I am treating her with Omeprazole that I buy in the generic form from Horse Prerace, its about $8 a tube and works the same as the name brand but a lot less money. You could buy a few tubes and see if she changes after a few days. The omeprazole lasts 24hrs so only have to give it once a day.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The horse's stomach is small compared to humans. Their digestive system produces substances to protect the stomach from the effects of the acid and enzymes. For horses, hydrochloric acid is constantly being produced. So, if a horse does not eat, the acid accumulates in the stomach, and can start to irritate the stomach, especially the non-glandular portion. Ulcers are very common for horses, they should be treated often with medicines. We, as their owner should do prevent them to have ulcers because it's a very fatal thing for them. I remember when my horse (Garret) had an ulcer and I didn't have any idea what to do that time. Good thing the internet that time was alive and found myself solutions (probably bought some medicines over) on how to prevent it. God, the internet sure is useful. Haha.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
It is an established fact that foals can have ulcers and weanlings can get ulcers just from being weaned.

You can Google "ulcers in foals and weanlings" and get a lot of credible hits.

Causes of Horse Ulcers - PetMeds®

Where it says in part:
Between 60-90% of foals and stalled weanlings have ulcers.
My point being, "yes" the horse on free range hay and not receiving grain can have ulcers:D

·
Registered
281 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr05hMmLCY4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Been through this one before.... posted video link try above technique. Also is the horse cinchy? If ypy Google online there are diets to try. Giving tums if the horse will eat it masks symptoms (I did not try this on my horse). Give tums and see if the horse acts the same 8 to 12 tums crumbled I believe a day. Also ulcer guard tubes.... give one full tube first day, then normal 1/4 tube doses for two weeks...may take up to two weeks for you to see changes... if no changes over two weeks..... then something else. To be sure scope the horse but that is costly.

I have yet to scope mine, but don't believe he has ulcers.... I may still scope in spring.

·
Administrator
36,320 Posts
Ulcers are associated with stress - and we can put our horses through stress without even realizing it - I wonder how many foals get ulcers when they get weaned because that is a really stressful time for them.
Feeding grain and nothing else might cause ulcers because the horse would be standing without food for long periods of time but fed as a supplemental part of its diet with grazing or hay shouldn't be a problem at all
I have found that a supplement called U-Gard works really well and I add to my horses feeds if I think they are for any reason going through a stress period or if they have to be on pain meds that are likely to cause stomach irritation
What makes you think your horse has ulcers?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Ulcers are associated with stress - and we can put our horses through stress without even realizing it - I wonder how many foals get ulcers when they get weaned because that is a really stressful time for them.
Feeding grain and nothing else might cause ulcers because the horse would be standing without food for long periods of time but fed as a supplemental part of its diet with grazing or hay shouldn't be a problem at all
I have found that a supplement called U-Gard works really well and I add to my horses feeds if I think they are for any reason going through a stress period or if they have to be on pain meds that are likely to cause stomach irritation
What makes you think your horse has ulcers?
As this poster stated U-gard can also be used to test... feed it for a while. It isn't a treatment it is used to prevent or to use after omeprazole treatment is completed.

Jaydee: hijacking post forgive me but this may be useful to others. My Mom's coming three year old she put two light months on this fall. Trainer said bring him home he is doing great but internalizes stress and has loose stools after being worked. We are sending him to the performance horse trainer soon. She is putting him on U-gard. I researched this and MANY posts say a preventative it can cause ulcers as lowers acid in stomach and once taken off the stomach may produce more. I spoke to our vet.... she said she doesn't think this is a concern and has one of her horses off and on it as he shows very minor signs of ulcers and she believes it is a good idea. ALSO CAPITAL as important.... she said her horse is a trail horse minimal stress.... said once in a bluemoon she comes across an ulcer horse for no apperent stress related reason.

Sum up: Beware U-gard they say can increase acid... for getting ulcers once taken off. My vet does not think that is an issue and we are trying it for one horse with no ulcers but stress prone. Last, I use ulcer guard first haul to trainers or shows a preventative.... too doses while they acclimate.

·
Administrator
36,320 Posts
I did speak to my vet about using it - before I bought any - and he couldn't see why it should cause a problem
I wonder if people maybe take their horses off it too soon and the ulcers come back because the actual cause hasn't been eliminated or the ulcers are still there
I did copy the contents and posting them here - I can't see anything in it that would cause ulcers - as far as food stuffs and any connection to ulcers go they're usually related to things with a high acid content in people so I would think horses would be the same

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.