The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my dad's girlfriend found this big guy running around the highway in freezing tempratures so she picked him up. He is teh sweetest guy and he knows all his basic commands.
I love dogs and I know most breeds of them, but I just want other opinions on what breed you think he is.
I think he is a Labrador X Bloodhound (Not sure on the BH) and I think he is in the 4-7 year age range.

What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
All I can see from the pictures is that he has Lab in him somewhere. Good luck finding his owners : ) My in laws just had a Great Dane show up on their doorsteps last night.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I can see the Lab but on the first pic I could see Golden Retriever x.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Definately looks Lab to me.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Poor animal, and no idea where he might have come from?? lucky she did pick him up. Poor thing might have not made it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Did you go to the shelter yet to see if he has a chip?
Hope you can find the owner soon :)

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't taken him to the shelter yet, I will tell my dad to!
There is another picture that shows his "saddle marks" and his back end (To me) looks a lot like a bloodhound, but I don't know! lol
He def. isn't a pure lab though... Hel ooks like he has something else in there...
But my dad said if his owners don't show up, he has a home here!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yeah, I was going with pure lab in the first pix, but there is definatly something in there! Could be shepherd (saddle mark)...depends on if there are BH in your area...they aren't at all common here, so I wouldn't guess that, but maybe there?
Do take him to the vets or to the shelter to have them see if he has a chip. Call all the animal services people (SPCA, pound,vets, feed stores) and let them know where he is in case someone is looking for him!

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, I was also thinking GS but his hair is not as long as most GS/Lab crosses, but it is def. an option!
We have called teh Police departments/vets in the area we found him/and the shelter.
Still no calls and it has been 24 hours....
We also need a name because we have been calling him puppy. (And Charlie) but I don't know what to call him until his owner gets to us.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Lab mix sounds complete enough for me.

He looks well enough taken care of that I doubt he is just a stray. Someone is probably missing him. A loose scared dog can travel pretty far.

Did you take him and have him scanned to see if he is chipped?

·
Registered
610 Posts
He looks to me like a lab/Golden cross. Often the thicker coat, and that reddish color come from that cross. Truth be told, a lot of poorly bred look just like that, so he could be 100% lab. Definitely primarily retriever. He's not starving, that's for sure.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well after about 2 weeks of having "Charlie" His owners called today and brought him home.
Turns out I was right on his breed! (Yay Dani!)
And his name was Ollie, and he had 2 or 3 kids at home waiting for him.
I am so happy that he went back home, but super super sad at the same time.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Looks can be deceiving when it comes to dog breeds. My mom was telling me about a woman who decided to have her dog tested to see what breeds it had in it. The dog looked like a border collie that was a little on the small side (not super small, just a little smaller than they usually are). Anyway the test came back that the dog was mostly chihuahua lol. Never would've guessed that!

Glad you found his owners!

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I know they can look different than the breed standards.
The owners did say he was a lab/bloodhound though.
I am happy but super sad at the same time that he is gone...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.