The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a tumblr. It's mostly fandom stuff for tv shows, but I also include some of my photography & horse related things. The other day I posted a photo set of some pictures of my quarter horse mare. 3 pictures, one of her standing in the woods and 2 of her making a few 'funny' faces (making faces about some medicine). I was looking at the notes and one person's url caught my attention. They had liked my photo set, so I looked at their own blog. It is very very anti equestrian. (bare/bear, I can never get that usage right, with me while I get to my point.)

I read through 17 some pages (and still going) and it's pretty much non stop 'all bits and bridles are medieval torture devices, riding is cruel and abusive', etc. No horse should ever be ridden at all, riding causes horses nothing but non stop pain and suffering, people should just keep their horses to look at them and not do anything else with them. 'Training' a horse is making them your hostage. She goes on about how she only trains her horses loose/at liberty and that they are never separated or ridden etc.

She posted a picture of a young girl (maybe like, 7 years old) riding a paint. The horse was on a loose rein in what appeared to be a loose ring snaffle, walking calmly. She comments 'when did it be okay to teach your children to be sadists', on and on. She also said that the fact that the horse's tail was 'thin' (it didn't even appear to be?) was an indicator that it was in great pain, she also said something about it's eye indicating it was upset/sad/in pain as well but I don't even know. She also uses racist slurs when addressing people that comment there, even toward people that follow her 'methods' and responded rudely when they politely asked her to stop. Over all it makes me very uncomfortable.

I guess this is kind of an advice/input post but also kind of a rant. Should I just ignore it? I just. I don't know, it makes me really uncomfortable and a bit concerned, I don't want to be attacked and I don't really want to be associated with this person in any way.

The sarcastic, b*tchy part of me almost wants to send her something like: I would really prefer if you would please not like or reblog any of my photography of my horses. I don't want to be associated with your blog and I'm sure you'd be appalled to know that I ride the poor, poor horse in the pictures. I even have the audacity to separate her from my gelding and take her on rides alone, during which she often wears a bit.

I apologize if this is kinda rambly or repetitive, it's 5am and I'm a bit sleep deprived! Anyway, I guess this was more of a vent than anything but I just. Ugh. I don't know. Am I crazy for being uncomfortable about this? I don't even know. What would you do? :/

And for good measure, here's a picture of my poor, abused horse:

·
Registered
899 Posts
Don't do anything because she is merely seeking an audience to feed her insecurity. She would love for you to respond and that is exactly why you shouldn't. There are a great many people in this world that you will disagree with or who simply irritate you. These feelings are normal, but joining in their little sessions is not.
You have better (and more positive) things in your life.

Think good thoughts !

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
I would just ignore it. The world is full of different opinions, many of which are voiced in ways we would not put them, or essentially not the kind we could agree with. However, instead of wasting our energy in opposing these opinions, we should just focus in what is good and right for us. Nowadays there are lots and lots of people who choose not to ride their horses and see bits, whips and other equipment as harmful, and I say - good for them. The horses most likely don't object to living as pasture pets and being worked with at liberty only. :) Not all of these people are that rude, racist and otherwise asocial, though. You just ran into a bad apple.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, that's what I've been leaning toward; ignoring it. I just needed to vent a bit I suppose. I agree, I don't think any horse would disagree with just living life as a pasture pet, and if you can work with your horse bitless/bridleless etc more power to you, I'm not against it at all. I used to ride my TB gelding around bareback and bridleless all the time. It just bothers me a little bit the way she acts about it though, as if everyone that rides or uses a bit is a violent, sadistic horse abuser. Her harassing and racist comments among other things don't help my opinion on her much either. Thank you both for taking the time to comment, I'm glad to know I'm not just completely insane though, ha!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
First I am so sorry that this has happened. Its bound to stir up a lot of emotions, I would be not happy if it was my horse. That said, this woman sounds like she is a few tacos short of a combination if you know what I mean. Don't poke this dragon because honestly, you can't win. You will just end up feeling more hurt and upset than you do now.

I would love to say that there is some legal way you could get her to remove the images; however, the internet is fair game. It is a great lesson in why we should never put anything on the internet that we are not proud of. You took a funny/cute picture of your horse and this woman has totally mis-construed it.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Unfortunately in this case, everyone's entitled to their opinions. I see some horse stuff going on that I personally consider to be awful, but there isn't always anything you can do about it. I don't think you'll find anyone who posts here regularly that would think a child quietly walking on a calm horse in a plain snaffle is harmful :wink: If you're confident in your riding and relationship with your horse, then don't let this person bother you. Confronting them about it will only fuel the fire. If everyone ignored her blog, then she would quickly lose interest in it. I'm sure that many people have already taken her bait, so don't feed into it.

I don't do tumblr, so I'm not too familiar with how it works. Is there a way to block her from your blog without her knowledge? Kind of like how on facebook you can block a person so they can't see any of your stuff, but they aren't notified of it? If so, then I would do this. It's one thing to ignore someone when they have a differing opinion, but it would be really awful to have this person attack you if (heaven forbid) you ever decide to post a picture of you walking your horse in a snaffle! Prevent the situation before it even occurs.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My "poor horse" hates to NOT be ridden! haha. I have come across many people that think horseback riding is inhumane. All you have to do is ignore what they say and know your horse and your connection with him/her. You would know if your horse was upset or if it didn't like to work! No one can judge you or your morals accurately without knowing you and your horse. Don't sweat it! I know it's hard, but there are tons of people out there that just think differently.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Ignore, Ignore, IGNORE, otherwise you're just feeding the trolls, and people with those sorts of skewed mindsets will not listen to reason no matter how sensibly or politely you talk to them. Their minds are made up and even direct evidence to the contrary of their "viewpoints" is immediately dismissed since it doesn't fit their mindset.

Accordingly, nothing good can come of interacting with them, and paying attention to them only drives them to continue.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
She has the right to her blog as much as you have the right to yours. If you don't feel comfortable seeing what she posts then block her, I'm not sure if that means she'll be unable to see / like / reblog YOUR posts but either way YOU might get some peace of mind. Ignore her and move on because people like that just loooove the fight, they love getting people all riled up so it's better to stay far far away and keep it from bothering you.

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
OMG. Your horse looks JUST like my old mare mustve when she was younger and healthier. WOW. I will have to find pics someday to show you.

But yes, just ignore her, no point in getting involved.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
I dealt with this on a youtube vid of my horse. "You should be reported for animal cruelty for riding in a tom thumb!" "I hope someone takes your horse away" blah blah. You'd think I just put bike chain in her mouth and was riding it until it bled. I was riding on a loose rein and gently asking for a stop and back. The vid before was me doing the exact same things in a side pull halter.
Some people really need a life, and this person sounds like she needs one. Just block them, and report them (Slander anything of the like). Once you block them they cant see your pics. Problem solved.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
YouTube comment threads are a quagmire of epic proportions. I rarely read them o other peoples videos because of such, and honestly, I have turned them off on a good portion of my videos because they're an epic waste of time.

There's a lot of rude and ignorant people there. Don't waste your time with them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.