The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh boy...I found out a few days ago that I'm PREGGO again! This is a huge surprise to us, and I have to say, my reaction was not very good. I cried for like three days. Poor hubby was very good about the whole thing, and was very supportive. We wanted more kids, but were not going to try again for about a year. This will put my kids less than 2 yrs apart. This just blows me away - We are pretty carefull. I've been charting for 5 years successfully, and we use other protection on potential fertile days. My cycles are very predictable so I'm a little stumped as to how this happened. ( haha, I know HOW it happened, but ya know what I mean...)
I feel so guilty about this - especially about my son, he's still so little, and deserves to have his mom to mimself for a while longer. He still nurses! Oh, and the beauty of it is that I will most likely have to sell my 2 yr old palomino I was starting. I was going to get on him for the first time this week. I'm deflated.
Anyone else ever had an unexpected pregnancy? I want to be happy about this, but I'm struggling. I had a dating ultrasound already to find out when we conceived, and I'm 6 weeks. I saw the little heart beat which was nice, but I just don't feel the joy I should be feeling, ya know? Some people have such a hard time having babies, I should count my blessings, I know. We even struggled a bit to have our son - I lost our first baby
Sorry this is so long, I just needed to tell someone - it does not help that I'm a barfing hormonal mess!

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Oh hunny it will be ok! I can't imagine what you are going through right now, and I completely understand about the horsey situation. You sure you have to sell her? I've had some scares for an unplanned pregnancy a few months ago and boy did it cross my mind "what am I going to do with my 3 year old!?" But the good news is that they will still be fresh and ready when you are able to get on. Remember there is no time limit on when horses should be started and there are no expectations. As long as they are respectful from the ground then getting in the saddle in a year or two will be cake! These kind of things get handed to us at the strangest times and we don't always understand them, but there's always a reason :). Keep your chin up and remember, there's a little one inside of you that's going to love you no matter what. That little one didn't know it wasn't time yet. Maybe you can take some "you" time and organize your thoughts or a close girlfriend would help too? I'm sorry I cannot help much as I have never been in your situation, but you know where to find us if you ever need to vent or talk :).

And Congrats :)

·
Registered
555 Posts
My little girl was a surprise. I wish I would have been graced with her later in life. But thats life. On your little boy, just think he will have a sibling to play with now! They will be close to the same age so they can do the same thing.
I wouldn't sell your horse. Ground work is amazing and you can make sure your youngster has it all covered.
Congratulations! BTW

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
I don't know if this will offer you any comfort at all, but my brother and I are 14 months apart (I'm the oldest) and we're very close, we always have been. It was great when we were little because we had each other to play with and since we were so close in age, games that appealed to one of us usually appealed to the other. I never felt cheated by him since I hadn't been an only child for long enough to really get jealous about not being an only child anymore. It's also been cool as we've gone through school since we share many of the same friends so we get invited to a lot of birthday parties, and such, together and we've also been in the same classes multiple times. It's really nice sometimes to know that you'll have a partner in class that you can always count on to be your partner. He's also really good at the subjects (math) I have a hard time in so when we were in the same math class for 2 years in a row we always did our homework together which really helped me understand what was going on in class.
My mom also had a hard time getting pregnant before she had me (3 miscarriages) and then everybody was shocked when she got pregnant with my brother so easily! haha

*hugs* I don't know what else to say that might help you feel better but I just wanted to let you know that, as the older sibling from a similar situation, I love having my brother so close in age to me.

And I second what the others have said about your horse. =)

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
You know what? I'm expecting right now, I'm 21 weeks. My hubby really wanted this baby, I wasn't so sure. I cried when I found out as well. I'm still nervous as heck, and my first baby is already 3. I'm okay with the idea now and can't wait to meet the little monster

I feel for ya girl! If you need someone to talk to just let me know!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, thanks guys! I'm just so stressed about the whole thing and we are not telling anyone for at least six more weeks so I have no one to talk to. I do need to take some time for myself but it's so hard - I work seven days a week at the farm, and it's a split shift. I'm friggin exhausted.
I'm glad hubby is being so supportive. He's been helping at the farm even. I'm going to hold out on selling the colt for a while and see if I can figure something out.
Thanks, you guys are awesome...

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
My sons are 15 months apart and my wife says it was like having twins! They grew up as best friends and at 33 and 34, they still are; even though they are married and living a few states apart.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Shesinthebarn, our second daughter was three months old when I found out I was pregnant again! I thought it was the end of the world. I cried for about the first half of the pregnancy. She was born 4 days before our second one turned a year old! They just turned 8 and 7 a couple of weeks ago and we always tease them about how they're the same age for four days. lol! Like iridehorses said about his two, it's like raising twins. I can tell you now, though, I wouldn't have it any other way. Sometimes our most precious gifts are the ones we didn't think we wanted in the first place. ;)

·
Registered
594 Posts
I had this long reply all typed up and it died.

To sum it up, keep your colt - you'd be surprised how much you can do. And CONGRATULATIONS! I know after the initial shock wears off, you'll be thrilled! Will you be having an August baby? My birthday is August 3, it's a good day! ;)

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Even though we could not have kids, I have empathy for my mom. My sisters are twins and I am 18 months younger than them.
I think a second child close in age is a blessing to the mother (I was:wink:) You will have a built in playmate for your first. They can help occupy each others time when they get older, instead of wanting mom to play all the time. I always say I was raised by my sisters, thats why I turned out so bad :lol::wink:
If financially you can keep your colt, I think you should do so. It will give you something outside of the babies to plan for and think about.
Have some saltines or gingersnaps (good for stomach upset) and let the worry go. Life happens whether we plan it or not.
Congratulations and here is some
for good luck

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Feeling a little better today - it helps that the nausea is a little better. My hubby is being so positive that it is wearing off on me! I think the thought of selling my colt is one of the major thing bugging me. We are going to try and find a way to keep him and the weanling both. Hey, we could do showmansip this summer instead! Do they make maternity show clothes??
I think you guys are right - in the long run, my kids and I will be glad they are so close together.
Oh, I forget who asked, but I'm due the very end of July - so an early August baby is a possibility. My hubby's B day is the 4th.
I'm glad I'm finding some perspective...

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
I think everyone else has given you some great advice and some awesome words of encouragement already, but I wanted to chime in as well and say that we are here for you whenever you need us and I want to also wish you a happy, healthy pregnancy! :) I definitely think that in the long run this will be a blessing for you all. My sister is 12 years older than I am and I sort of feel like I missed out a bit on never having someone close to me to play with and stuff in some ways. Of course it was not the end of the world or anything, but I would have LOVED to have someone close to me to play with and whatnot. Everything will turn out. I have faith. Everything happens for a reason!

*hugs* Keep us updated!

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
You know, my 2 youngest brothers are very close in age and they grew up best friends because of it. They enjoyed the same toys, they went thru the same learning stages and to this day you can't separate those 2 kids(they are 20 and 21).
As for the horse, why sell? is it because of money? you could always free lease her, that way someone puts miles on her while you take care of yourself.

Give some time to yourself. It sounds like you are very stressed out. I have no doubt in my mind that you will enjoy this pregnancy and it will be exciting to prepare your family for this new little sibling for your son :D

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
You've been given such wonderful advice and words of comfort that I just want to add my congratulations. Sometimes the unexpected and unplanned "surprises" are the biggest blessings. Sounds like your getting your equilibrium back a bit, and so happy your hubby is being very considerate towards you. Keep us updated.

·
Super Moderator
26,547 Posts
my nieces are 5, 6, and 8 years old! They are really close though and it was actually easier on my sister in law....

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
My sister and I are also just over a year apart and we got along great as kids, we still do. We just don't see each other as often since I've moved away and gotten married and had my own kids.

I'm glad you are feeling a bit better about it! Wait till you feel those little baby kicks! It's going to be wonderful. And you son will be soo happy to have a play buddy! I'm glad hubby's being wonderful, they great that way. Always pulling thru when you really need them!

I wish you all the best of luck and I hope it all goes well. I know you've been charting to prevent pregnancy for so long, but hey, maybe it's just meant to be.

BTW I looked thur all your old threads and no pictures of you two horses since you got them home! What the heck? What's the breeding on the two year old. How's the filly doing, are you happier with her now?

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
First off, CONGRATS!!!

My husband and I were unexpectedly expecting. My hubby was thrilled and I was like "oh my gosh!" But as time went on and I got used to the idea of being a mom, I grew to love my baby. By the time I was 11 weeks and heard the heartbeat i was in love!
My son is now 6 weeks old and I couldn't be happier with our surprise!
As for your horse, if you are able to, keep him. Find someone to free lease, or just exercise or play with him. and 9 months isn't that long of a time. I stopped riding when I found out I was pregnant and though I have missed it greatly, I know my horses will be there waiting for me when I'm ready to get back out there.

Eat small meals and snack inbetween. Saltine crackers were my best friend! and try taking your prenatal vitamins at night. I did that because they made me nauseous when I took them in the morning. When I took them at night, I went to sleep right after. I

·
Registered
434 Posts
I feel so guilty about this - especially about my son, he's still so little, and deserves to have his mom to mimself for a while longer. He still nurses!
I can't address the horse part of your question, since my three kids are 8, 7 and 3, and I still haven't gotten my first horse, but I wanted to talk about nursing and letting your baby be a baby a while longer.

You don't have to wean your son yet, you could tandem nurse. I hadn't run across anyone nursing toddlers when I got pregnant with my second child (my first and second are 21 months apart), so I assumed I needed to wean her. I did at 15 months, and I've regretted it since running across the idea of tandem nursing and longer term nursing.

I have a friend who successfully tandem nursed her two (19 months apart), she's still nursing the younger (2 and a half), and weaned the older at 4 yrs. I know it can seem weird to nurse longer if you have no one around you who does it, and it took me till I had my third to really get it (He's still nursing at three).

I just wanted to throw the idea out to you, because I wish I knew I could nurse my first baby throughout a pregnancy and beyond.

By the way.... Congratulations!!! Two close together can be really crazy for the first year, but after that it is wonderful how much they can love being together. And if you plan a third, I love the spacing of two close together and three years before the third.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey! Thanks guys! I'm feeling a little better about things every day. I think I'm cautious about being excited in case I have another miscarriage, though. I'm sure I'll relax about that when I get to 12 weeks.
I'm still mervous about having them close together, but feeling better about it. All I can see is me up at 3:00 AM nursing a newborn and waking my toddler who will of course start crying also...and on and on. I just worry about my ability to parent both kids WELL at the same time.
AlmostThere - I have thought about tandem nursing! The plan was to do child-led weaning with my son and let him decide when he was done. When I found out I was preggo again, I kind of doubted my plan, but I think I'm going to give tandem a try. I would miss the nursing relationship with my son too much to let it go. I'm lucky that both my mom and my sisters nursed well past the 1 yr mark, so I'll have support. Congrats on a 3yr old nursling! That's great!!
Ugh, the horse situation. I would love to free lease the 2yr old (reining bred, FGR!) but he's nor broke yet. I think it would be hard to find someone to free lease an unbroke horse. He's ready to go - we were just about to take that step. It's a financial issue. I'm going to see it I can save enough money to keep them for 6 months. I want to keep working as long as I can to try to do this.
FGR - I'll post pics. The filly is officially a dud though. She is super funny looking, and sort of sickly. The colt is nice. The breeder gave him to me to replace the filly because he agreed she did not turn out as expected. Then he decided to let me have both. I love the filly, but she is not what I expected, and she has had some megga vet bills.
Sorry for the novel, I have not been on here in a while!

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Glad you are feeling better about things. I can only imagine it would have been very stressful. Good luck with the pregnancy and keep us posted? :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts