The Horse Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
I used it on Queen after making a few mistakes in the beginning @Zimalia22. I knew I was messing up, but didn’t know where. So, I knew he had a system and decided to watch what I could on YouTube. I saw where I was messing up; I was treating her like a two year old and not a foal. I had never messed with a foal besides Zeus, who is so different he probably doesn’t count. I made huge progress fast when I stoped trying to expect two year old reactions.

I recommend watching it too. It made a big difference for me.

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
@Milton'sMama I wasn’t using Clinton’s methods specifically when I was making my mistakes. It was my own method, for two year olds, if you would say method… more like style? Anyways, it was leading to a really touchy horse right off the bat, and I didn’t know why. I never had to discipline her at all, she just was naturally so sensitive and took things to an extreme.

So, it was Clinton’s videos that opened my eyes to the mistakes I was making. I had never been allowed to mess with babies as a child. The rule was the colts stayed untouched until two, when we started them. Everything excepting Zeus that we bought after I was a grown up was two. So, it was just a complete lack of knowledge on my part.

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
I know it’s hard to discipline a youngster, but biting is always a no. It doesn’t have to take much, just raising your hand up and telling him no might spook him back. We get into a struggle in our minds with something unhandled, like if I discipline him he may be hard to be around again. This might even be true for a moment, but in the long run will make life much easier.

My husband has a foal the same age. Now, she is a dream to handle 99% of the time. Yet, yesterday I saw him kick her. He was doctoring her mother’s foot, and the filly walked up, turned around, and hopped her butt up at him. He in turn kicked her in the butt while keeping doctoring the foot. I don’t think he kicked her hard by any means, but she got the hint.

Like another horse, you do have to teach them to mind their manners. Yet, like another horse, you don’t do it very dramatically with a baby. You are more patient and tolerant, but you have a line they cannot cross. When the colt bites you, you discipline to whatever means the colt requires. If that is simply telling him no and waving your hand up, that’s all that is needed. If that doesn’t make him get back maybe you need to slap his neck with that hand.

He can be your friend and respect you. I think it will get lots easier once you start halter breaking him and working with him a little. Leppies are the hardest colts to deal with in a way, because you are their mom, and now you have to teach them manners like their mother would. A horse with a mare learns most of these things from her.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts