The Horse Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Whatever his actual age, he's just a baby and being unhandled at this point isn't a huge deal as a lot of weanlings are pretty much unhandled at this age.

I've raised a few babies, and honestly I start touching and scratching and just hanging out with them from day one. You don't have that advantage, but you can still do that now. Just go in and hang with him. Let him be curious. Be slow and gentle with him if he's shy. If he's bolder and more secure around you, go ahead and find a safe halter for him. No big hurry, no set time line, just mess around with getting it on him. Some of them, if they trust you and enjoy your company and are used to you brushing them and touching them all over will just stand there while you put the halter on. They might then act silly (or not...my first foal was laying down when I went to put his first little baby leather halter on...he rolled up onto his chest long enough for me to get it on him, then flapped back out and went back to sleep, lol).

I have to say I don't really agree with the whole Clinton Anderson approach for one this little/young. Right now he just needs to trust that people are good company. Worry about "moving his feet" and "getting two eyes" after he's grown up more. The horses I raised learned to work in a round pen and the on the lunge line and they willingly moved their feet when asked and always stopped and looked right at me when asked as well. That wasn't until they were yearlings (or older) though. By then, they already trusted and respected me on the ground and that tranferred to the round pen and lunge work.

·
Registered
235 Posts
My apologies. I didn't mean to insinuate that what you did with your foals didn't work. I'm more familiar with CA's work with older horses (and I still find him a bit too aggressive for my own taste). I didn't want someone who may not realize that he has different methods for working with young foals (like me) to try to make the same mistake Knave mentions and use the methods for older horses on a baby. That could really be disastrous.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts