The Horse Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I am still quite unsure what it is you all see to call it clubbed? Please bare with me I am sorry...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
22,870 Posts
A club foot cannot be fixed by trimming or shoeing or end up with something that looks the hoof in the OP photo.
Yeah, forgot to mention that, that another reason for clubs to get so flared is from farriers trying to 'match' them. Often leads to the other foot getting foundered too, as they try to 'stand it up' & make it steeper.

I don't believe you shouldn't *ever* try to change a clubbed foot, but it is not just about the foot, and if in working *in conjunction with* a good vet chiro or such, body issues are resolved, then the foot *may* be able to be brought down to more 'normal' parameters.

·
Super Moderator
22,870 Posts
I am still quite unsure what it is you all see to call it clubbed? Please bare with me I am sorry...
Posted via Mobile Device
Pardon, we all seemed to get carried away with the club thing!:lol: As mentioned, 'clubbed' just means a very high heeled, upright foot. It's also getting convoluted with talks of 'true' clubs & not being fixable too, which I think that one pic is far too little to get excited about - for all we know it may be from founder & a few bad trims & can be resolved...

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've had a horse that foundered 3 times, and he has that dip and the lines. I'm not saying yours is from founder, but mine looks just like that. He has a touch of a club foot, that actually developed after the founder, and get special padded shoes, ie, vets advice.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
My farrier said that "dip" in hoof was change of diet or something that has changed I don't believe she has foundered? Wouldn't I know that?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Here is better pictures of Amys front right hoof (freshly trimmed)

Sorry I didn't get the other three feet....:-( I got distracted by a huge tick on Amys neck and ****ed her off getting it off her so she's didn't want to corporate with me lol
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
298 Posts
I would love to hear what patty & others have to say about that sole after the trim- to me it looks like a lot of dead sole that still needs to be scraped away....

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I know I am wanting to see what is said too.. I will get other feet tomorrow hopefully. But IMO the front right is the worse.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
22,870 Posts
Bearing in mind I only have 3 pics to go on & sole shot dark, etc... Nice I reckon! Is this the same farrier? Obviously chronic wet has been resolved too. Be interested to see other feet & better angles. It appears the toe should be bevelled back some more, and while I'm a minimalist as far as paring sole, there appears that some more could be exfoliated. If this is the same farrier, given the previous overgrowth, I think they're a bit too... minimalistic about that! ;-)

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Yes this is same farrier and yes her feet are a lot drier and do you guys still see this hoof as clubbed?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
I still would have taken more off the toe, and worked more at taking the flaring off, but it's an improvement. The sole shot is hard to see, but I too think there is sole that should have been taken off. Can't comment on bars or heels. I have a "feeling" that the heels are a midge too high still and forward but nothing substantive to base it on as the pic isn't clear enough.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts