1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

First of all...

~*~Thank you all for the well wishes, prayers and support~*~

Well It has been a long day. At least for my mind!

She had the surgery and I was able to go and see her for about 30 min.
I spoke with the doc right after surgery. He said the OCD lesions were as originally thought and not very deep at all. So he cleaned them out. He told me they were on the periphrial (sp) edge of the condyle as seen on X ray.
He also told me that Candi had a difficult time with the anesthesia. Poor girl. She was a bit wild coming out. They had to get her up pretty quickly.

It was about 330 pm when we spoke and then I had to wait an hour before going to see her.

I felt so bad. I was not allowed to go into her stall but I was able to open the little side door for her to come to me.

She was still quivering from the anesthesia. Poor thing. I almost cried and didn't. I did not want her to stress on my stress.
She was completely soaked from head to toe with sweat. Some dry and some still wet. She pooped and peed while I was there which is good. Especially since it wasnt the nervous runs.

She did not really want to be touched at first. Finally I just kept telling her in a low toned voice what a good girl she is and she finally came and rested her head on the back of my shoulder. But only untill she got the quivers and had to move again...poor girlie. I could tell she wanted to have me there but needed to just deal with the side effects of the medications...anesthesia

When I finally ended up leaving she started to really scream. Calling out to me I suppose. I couldnt go back in. She needed to just "be" for a while.

She will be staying at the vet hospital until Thursday but I would imagine that is subject to change if she doesnt do well.

I plan on speaking with my vet about some type of calming suppliments. I know she is going to be full of herself when she gets home. The hand walking is what will comcern me as she will want to get her pent up energy out
Oh my poor girlie...

So far the surgery is in the past and now we move on to the imediate recovery and then to rehabing her per whatever my vet and the surgeon decide.

Here are some (not so good) pics I took with my phone. I forgot to turn the falsh off in one pic and her eye was all lit up. I tried to fix it as best I can. And yes my finger is in the way on the other one.

well thats the scoop as of now. I will update as things come about!

Thanks bunches
Halfpass

Attachments

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I'm thankful she made it through the surgery. Just remember one day at a time with her when you get her back, and hopefully everything will be fine. Still sending prayers.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a bunch.

I think I am exahusted! Tomorrow I have some errands to run and then I hope to see her in the afternoon. The office will call me in the morning and give me an update.
We are just gonna hang in there and deal with stuff as it comes. Keeping her from getting to "frisky" before she needs to be is first on my list to discuss with my vet...
Oh the poor youngster....I hate having surgery so I can only imagine how she must feel.
HP

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
That is great news my dear! I am so pleased that she is doing well and on her way to recovery!

You're such a great Mamma!! *HUGS*

I look forward to more pictures of the two of you together, and soon, of you two riding together!

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Ah poor girl! I'm glad it sounds like she's doing just fine. =)

And Candi is extremely adorable, like always! Haha

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aww thanks you too.
I am so tired. I think all my emotions and what not just hit me like a ton of bricks....
i feel sleep coming on very quickly and I dont wanna go to sleep to early. But cant fight it forever....
Thanks everyone....
HP

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
YAY! I've been following your other threads, so glad she did well :)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good morning everyone.
Here are a few more pics from yesterday. Taken with my phone.
I was soooo tired I just had to go to bed early. lol I think it all finally caught up with me.
more updates later today.
Halfpass

Attachments

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I am so glad to hear she is doing well. You are handling this amazingly and being just right for her. I cannot wait to hear you have her home because this has to be excruciating.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Citrus...
Thanks for your support. It is excruciating...lol
But at the same time I have learned there is so little in life that I have control over.
What are you gonna do other than to try your best.
She hopefully had an easy night. I should at some point have an update this morning. I have no idea what time that might be. If I don't hear anything by noon I will call. I would like to go and visit her for a while and I need to call and set that time first.
She is such a sweet mare. She can be a handful tho. It will be a challenge to keep her mellow.
Thanks again for you comment. It sucks when they are at the vet hospital.
Halfpass

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
She looks confused, but not unhappy. :) I'm glad the surgery went well, and I'm sure she'll recover fast. Calming supplements would be a good idea to keep the edge off for while. All the best to her and you!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone.
I went to see her today and she was doing well. Looking for trreats of course. I am gonna have to knock off the treats when she gets home...lol

I did not see the surgeon because he as out today. He will be in tomorrow morning and will update me then. The gal in the front told me she will most likely be able to come home after 130 pm.
My transpo gal is going to check her messages every hour after 12 pm so she can buzz over and pick her up. I will follow or ride with her.

She was happy to see me and really enjoyed the few bites of a carrot. She like that I used my hands to rub all the dried sweat so her hair was soft again. I forgot to bring a brush. But she enjoyed our visit and did not in anyway seemed distressed. She was comfy.
I think she is doing well thus far. I should be able to speak with my regular vet soon as well.
Any recomendations on your experience with a particular "calming" suppliment would be appreciated.

Here are som pics I took with my cell phone.
The last one is my fav!!

I will give an update as soon as I know something more....
Halfpass

Attachments

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
I've been using this two Moody Mare Wendals Herbs (Equine - Horse Supplements - Calming Agents) and Calmer Wendals Herbs (Equine - Horse Supplements - Calming Agents) so far with success (I tried B1 and valerian without any success). It's all natural (you see the dry grass and flowers, no pellets, supplements or anything), smell nice, and both my horses seem to love the taste (my qh was trying to get paint's bucket when I started it, so now I give her half or quarter dose too just for taste).

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Im soooo glad she's ok!!! I stressed alot FOR you!!! I bet you cant wait to get her home and happy... :) :) :)

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
phew, so glad the anesthesia and recovery went well- they're the biggest risks during surgery so happy she made it through. I will keep sending good thoughts for both of you on the road to recovery but the worst as far as immediate danger, is behind you now. Thank goodness she did well!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.