The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
so all those problems with my horse's bridling and stuff was not just their bit. when we were getting horse riding lessons the other day our instructor looked at the horse's mouth and she found foxtails or something like that I think that is what they call it but it is from the hay we got it was really bad and we had to take the one horse to the vet and we didn't even think to look at the other horse but since it is not as bad our sister in law said it might just come out with the good hay and if it doesn't change in a week take him to the vet. so today we worked on getting rid of the bad hay which was very hard cause we just put in a new hay bale. so I am very tired.

(Moderator adding: related to this thread: The Bridle)

·
Banned
1,575 Posts
Ugh. That must have been so much work! Did you have a tractor to pull the bale out? Or did you have to do it by hand!? One of our friends had to pitchfork an entire round bale out of her horses pen the day she put it in!
I'm glad you found the problem though! Hopefully the other horse is gonna be okay and won't need to go to the vet!

Reactions: hally dope

·
Banned
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We had to do it by hand. our brother in law helped us but it was mostly me throwing the hay in the back of the truck

·
Registered
10,597 Posts
That was miserable for the horses. Great job on your instructor's part for recognizing the issue!:)

It's important from this point, to do the research on Foxtails and to be sure you don't buy hay with foxtail in it. Even if you tried to pull all of it out, you can't get all of it, and you have seen first hand what it does to a horse's mouth.

That's another reason I don't buy cow hay. People will bale anything to feed to cows, and often have the nerve to sell it as horse hay because a dollar is a dollar.

Where ever that hay came from, it would great if the Seller would take it back and refund your money, but I wouldn't hold my breath. If your family grew the hay, they need to spray the fields.

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
Oh yes, foxtail can be pretty bad. :( I once saw a horse's mouth (the owner was feeding it bad hay w/ tons of foxtail) & it looked like it went through a meat grinder. :( It's definitely painful. I'm glad your instructor looked at their mouths. Definitely always a reason!

Hopefully they purchase new hay that is better quality. I don't want any foxtail in my hay, ever.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts