The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The temp here is supposed to drop down to 1 degree with rain and Snow! I was wondering I should blanket my horses right? I worry cause my older guy lost a lot of weight this summer when he had his abscess! Please answer quickly I'm kinda freaking out on what to do.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I'm thinking you mean Celsius. My least favourite weather, by far.

Are they kept outdoors? I like to simply feed more hay, to keep their furnaces stoked, butmine are all rotund creatures. The ideal would be a roof over their heads, with the hay. Without that option, I'd blanket a thin/unhealthy horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm thinking you mean Celsius. My least favourite weather, by far.

Are they kept outdoors? I like to simply feed more hay, to keep their furnaces stoked, butmine are all rotund creatures. The ideal would be a roof over their heads, with the hay. Without that option, I'd blanket a thin/unhealthy horse.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes they are outdoors. They do have hay and I'm going to put more out. I worry about my older guy cause he's not got the weight the others do. Everyone else out of seven are all fat fat but him. And honestly
I don't know how do stuff in Celsius it's 1 degree Fahrenheit as far as I know but wind chills will put it blow zero.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Do they have any kind of shelter from the wind and snow? It won't rain at 1F, it'll snow. I would blanket the older guy, and I'd probably do 2 blankets, a light one and a heavier one for hom. If he's thin he cannot thermoregulate properly. In the morning check to see if the blanket(s) are wet through anywhere and if they are, change them for dry ones. The only thing worse than windy and cold is wet, windy and cold. Plus horses in TN are not used to that kind of cold.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do they have any kind of shelter from the wind and snow? It won't rain at 1F, it'll snow. I would blanket the older guy, and I'd probably do 2 blankets, a light one and a heavier one for hom. If he's thin he cannot thermoregulate properly. In the morning check to see if the blanket(s) are wet through anywhere and if they are, change them for dry ones. The only thing worse than windy and cold is wet, windy and cold. Plus horses in TN are not used to that kind of cold.
I only have one blanket for each horse that are supposed to be water proof hopefully lol I'm worried now that because it hasn't dropped yet he'll over heat but if I don't put the blanket on I'll have no way out there if everything is frozen.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
I only have one blanket for each horse that are supposed to be water proof hopefully lol I'm worried now that because it hasn't dropped yet he'll over heat but if I don't put the blanket on I'll have no way out there if everything is frozen.
If he's thin he's not going to overheat. He's burning every calorie to stay warm, so not only won't he gain, he'll lose more weight without the blanket.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I assumed you meant Celcius because rain is very far away from -17C (1F). Snow is actually a great insulator. If your old guy does not have his own thick coat and/or is unused to these temps, a blanket is a nice idea.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I assumed you meant Celcius because rain is very far away from -17C (1F). Snow is actually a great insulator. If your old guy does not have his own thick coat and/or is unused to these temps, a blanket is a nice idea.
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh lol I have no clue when it comes to Celsius lol he's got a pretty thick coat I just worry cause he's older.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.