The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came out to the field tonight and when I started to clean the hoofs I found Jemma's back foot frog is cut really badly: the whole left part is missing and it's cut through in 2 places really deep. So I called my farrier but he didn't answer (it's pretty late too, may be he's sleeping already). So I cleaned it, put the tape on top and put them both in stalls. Will try to get hold of my farrier again tomorrow morning. But how serious is that and what should I do? I tried to do some research on internet, but couldn't find anything...

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure. It's so muddy and dark that I can't even trot her and see what's going on. She seems to walk OK.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I would just try to get it as clean as you can and try to keep her in a dry area, if possible. And get a hold of your farrier tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Frogs are not real delicate. What probably happened is that the frog got ragged and tore off. If there is no blood and she is not noticably lame then don't do anything. If she had damaged the bottom of her foot you would PROBABLY be able to tell immediately that she was lame.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
It sounds like it may have come off on it's own...but, definitely get your farrier's opinion, on what to do, if anything, to help it come back properly.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you very much, folks! It didn't bleed from what I could see. I gonna call my farrier now to see if he can stop by during a day. Unfortunately with all this rain the only dry place to keep her is stall, but it can't go for too long (she needs to move).

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
You were really going to call our farrier at 7am? Please wait until at least 8am.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You were really going to call our farrier at 7am? Please wait until at least 8am.
Yes, I did. In fact I did call at 6:55 am. :lol: As a matter of fact all my appointments with my farrier are at 7 am.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyway, my farrier came out within an hour after I called him to look at her (God bless him for understanding! I know from own experience not all farriers and vets are like that). It's indeed very bad cut and very close to the sensitive tissues on back of the hoof. That was my feeling when I cleaned it yesterday and that's why I was so concerned about it.

So he cut off all those hanging pieces and bandaged it again with the tape. He also suggested to put a boot on when she's out in field. And keep bandaging and/or boot for about a week till she'll grow some tissues back.

Did anyone keep boot on before for the whole day? Any recommendations which would be the best?

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Yes, I did. In fact I did call at 6:55 am. :lol: As a matter of fact all my appointments with my farrier are at 7 am.
Having an appointment at 7am is different than calling someone at 7am. At least in my world. Unless I have an appointment that day at that time I like to assume that people are not open for calls on a business day before 8am.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Having an appointment at 7am is different than calling someone at 7am. At least in my world. Unless I have an appointment that day at that time I like to assume that people are not open for calls on a business day before 8am.
It really depends on what you are doing/job type. Both my vets are 24/7. I had vet calling me back as late as 10 pm (not in this particular case). I rather call earlier so he could plan his day with all this driving he does so it would be convenient for him.

·
Registered
965 Posts
If it were my horse in bad shape whether it be his hooves (farrier) or internal (vet) I would call anytime I wanted. Shoot, If I got up at 3am and thought about my horse, I'd call the farrier/vet right then and there lol. Nothing wrong with that, and it's not against the law right? If they're not there than they're not there, if they say you shouldn't call this early, than you say, well I'm going to find a different care-taker. :)

Reactions: bkylem

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
I honestly can't remember ever sleeping in until 8.. People that are use to getting up early have internal clocks and they get up at the same time day after day.
My daughter on the other hand gets up at the crack of noon.

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
If it were my horse in bad shape whether it be his hooves (farrier) or internal (vet) I would call anytime I wanted. Shoot, If I got up at 3am and thought about my horse, I'd call the farrier/vet right then and there lol. Nothing wrong with that, and it's not against the law right? If they're not there than they're not there, if they say you shouldn't call this early, than you say, well I'm going to find a different care-taker. :)
That's not right. Calling at 3 am and expecting a farrier to get out of bed and come look at your horse is rediculous.. Either call the evening before or wait until morning. This is not brain surgury or a life and death cricis.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
A vet emergency is very different from a farrier type emergency.

Our office phones roll to an answering service after regular office hours. They have the schedule for who is primary on call, back up and back up back up on call.

No it's not against the law but extremely rude. Anyone that calls me prior to 8 a.m. or after 9 p.m. had best have a darn good reason. Yes, I am up by 5 for chores and have received texts prior to 8 and after 9 but texts are not as intrusive.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's not right. Calling at 3 am and expecting a farrier to get out of bed and come look at your horse is rediculous.. Either call the evening before or wait until morning. This is not brain surgury or a life and death cricis.
While I agree with that regarding the hoofs (because it can wait for some time with proper care) I see no problem to call the vet in mid of the night in case of bad colics or something else needing immediate attention (say, poisoning). My neighbor did it once because it's better to get an unhappy vet then dead or permanently sick horse, I did call once pretty late in eve because my horse was getting worse and worse and couldn't move after the shots - she had horrible allergic reaction.

I'm not a panicking drama queen, and I hate bothering professionals with something, but if I call it usually means it IS bad.

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
While I agree with that regarding the hoofs (because it can wait for some time with proper care) I see no problem to call the vet in mid of the night in case of bad colics or something else needing immediate attention (say, poisoning). My neighbor did it once because it's better to get an unhappy vet then dead or permanently sick horse, I did call once pretty late in eve because my horse was getting worse and worse and couldn't move after the shots - she had horrible allergic reaction.

I'm not a panicking drama queen, and I hate bothering professionals with something, but if I call it usually means it IS bad.
I certainly agree with calling the vet. That is life and death but calling a farrier in the middle of the night to come take a look at a horse is another thing entirely. I am not critizing you or how you handled it and calling at 7 am is no problem. You didn't decide at 3 am to give him a call.
You assessed the problem , stalled the horse and waited for the morning.:)
No problem.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.