Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay i need help ASAP
I pay $10 a month for sawdust to put in my horse's stall. The barn manager thinks that one wheel barrow full a month is going to keep a stall clean, and there's no way that'll happen. I have one of the two biggest stalls in the barn, that's twice as big as the others so im already up to two wheelbarrows full. And then my horse drinks two buckets of water in two hours and pees fifty billion gallons. So if I feed and clean at 8 a.m, then by about noon his stall is disgusting. He's coming from being on pasture 24/7 to a stall and he only gets out all night every other night or 2-3 hours a day. I can't do the 2-3 hours because I'm in school. I can't clean his stall for that twice a day because of school. My barn manager yelled at me for "abusing and neglecting" my horse. How can I possibly keep a perfect stall with two wheelbarrows of sawdust a month and horse that pees way too much? He used to have a salt block in his stall but I took it out because the peeing was tripled. What can I do?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Okay i need help ASAP
I pay $10 a month for sawdust to put in my horse's stall. The barn manager thinks that one wheel barrow full a month is going to keep a stall clean, and there's no way that'll happen. I have one of the two biggest stalls in the barn, that's twice as big as the others so im already up to two wheelbarrows full. And then my horse drinks two buckets of water in two hours and pees fifty billion gallons. So if I feed and clean at 8 a.m, then by about noon his stall is disgusting. He's coming from being on pasture 24/7 to a stall and he only gets out all night every other night or 2-3 hours a day. I can't do the 2-3 hours because I'm in school. I can't clean his stall for that twice a day because of school. My barn manager yelled at me for "abusing and neglecting" my horse. How can I possibly keep a perfect stall with two wheelbarrows of sawdust a month and horse that pees way too much? He used to have a salt block in his stall but I took it out because the peeing was tripled. What can I do?

Buy your own sawdust. I don't know how much it is in your area, but from the sawmill in mine, they charge around $10 for over an 80 lb. bag of pine shavings. Or, my local TSC charges $4-5 for a 30 lb. bag of pine shavings.

Is the stall floor just dirt, mats, or what? If it's dirt, literally dig the pee spots out, sprinkle stall dry (a nice powder that takes the smell of pee away), and put more sawdust. When I worked at a barn with dirt floors, we would do this, and then add a 1/4 of the 80 lb bag of sawdust, every other day. The stalls stayed very clean for having horses in them day and night.

If the floor is mats, pick out the pee and do the same thing with stall dry, and sawdust. You can get pellets that absorb pee too, and put those in the spots your horse commonly pees.

So what you can do, is take the matter in your own hands :lol: stop paying that $10 for close to no sawdust, and get your own instead.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You can't take the horses salt away just because he pees too much:) Give him back his salt!

You will have to buy extra shaving/sawdust just like Kylie said and if you aren't able to keep the stall clean (at least once)everyday then see if someone else at the barn would be willing to do it(you are going to have to pay the though:)

As for turnout, if you can get more turnout time your stall will be a lot cleaner! Talk to your barn manager and see if that is an option.

ETA: Ask if you can bring more sawdust picked up from the barns regular supplier?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'd either ask for more turnout time, or get my own sawdust (is there a reason as to why you can't get your own? That seems kind of odd to me if you're the one paying for it and taking care of the stall.) I think you could definitely get more sawdust to last a month for a better price than $10. I would talk to the barn manager, ask her to maybe compromise in either letting you buy more from her supplier or getting your own. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
You're not allowed to bring in your own truck of sawdust, which would be easy because my boyfriend has a truck he could do it with, but if you want to buy bags, that's really expensive. He does have mats, so I'll go pick up some of that stall dry. Thanks :)
If you have any sawmills around you, go ask and see what they will sell shavings for. Pine shavings are nice, but I really love cedar shavings. We used to buy bags in bulk that were around 30 lbs each, but lasted a long time. The barn smelled wonderful.

They shouldn't charge all that much either.

If I was at a barn that denied me more shavings for my horses stall, and then they went on to complain about the lack of cleanliness, I would be gone (if they aren't willing to compromise). My horses well being is priority one, and I cannot stand having my horses stand in their own filth.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'd ask my vet about the salt. And I agree with those who think he should go back outside. Unless there is a danger, I don't see why he should be stalled except during hard weather.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
i feel ya! My mare only get out of her stall 2-3 times a week (there is no turn out here unless i want to drive 1 hour to 2 hours away for boarding) and pees like crazy. She flooded half a 14X30 stall in a week from her peeing. If you an find terramigo i would get several bags. Its pelleted bedding that turns into a sawdust like bedding. it drys the stall quick and lasts months.

I HATE when people get on me for not being able to clean my stall everyday. I work and i work an hour away. I cant see her everyday so i understand how you feel. ignore them. If they bring it up tell them at least your horse has a home, food and love. There are plenty of horses who would be happy with just half the care you give your horse :).

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
i feel ya! My mare only get out of her stall 2-3 times a week (there is no turn out here unless i want to drive 1 hour to 2 hours away for boarding) and pees like crazy. She flooded half a 14X30 stall in a week from her peeing. If you an find terramigo i would get several bags. Its pelleted bedding that turns into a sawdust like bedding. it drys the stall quick and lasts months.

I HATE when people get on me for not being able to clean my stall everyday. I work and i work an hour away. I cant see her everyday so i understand how you feel. ignore them. If they bring it up tell them at least your horse has a home, food and love. There are plenty of horses who would be happy with just half the care you give your horse :).
I'm sorry, but a horses stall SHOULD be cleaned daily, at the very least, unless of course they are outside the whole time. If you cannot do it, you should have your horse out 24/7 or be in a place where it is done. Your horse flooded a stall in a week-perhaps because it was not cleaned out?

OP-I have to agree-your horse needs to be out more, and/or you need to move. You also need the vet to do a check up.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
It sounds to me like you're going to have to pay more for something--either more for extra shavings, or more for extra/more turnout. Preferably both...

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
my mare walks so much she pulverises the manure, and i will not pay my entire month's paycheck for someone to shovel manure for me. 3 days of not having her stall cleaned will not kill her, and she drinks like crazy, taking 3 wheelbarrows of pee dirt a day is not something i can do. I got shavings and the pelleted bedding and the wet issue is fixed (she is also in a fully covered stall so the sun dose not dry it out. and she is in heat every 2 weeks in the summer so she pees at the gelding next to her). As for the turn out issue there is no place that will turn out horses (because the turnouts are the arenas and its self care the feeds). The only place i know of has 10+ horses out in a 1/4 acre "pasture" and they are out in the 110+ heat for 8+ hours. yeah not happening.

If i want her on pasture i would see her maybe 2 times a month because it would cost me 300+ a month and i would have to drive over an hour away.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.