The Horse Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Horselover4eva!
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new and have a young gelding who seems to be having problems urinating... for example when he urinates he only dribbles and never sticks his penis out like he usually does, he also has stains all over his legs and it looks like he is peeing on himself, I washed his legs off but the next day they were all stained up again. I know there is a possibility of a bean or some kind of urinary tract infection but I may need some help determining what the problem is and what to do?

·
Super Moderator
17,832 Posts
Unless you know how to check for a bean and clean a sheath you need someone who does and preferably a vet in case there is something needing medical intervention the vet is present to render care and possibly drugs.
Most times a reduced stream and splashing has to do with a blocked urethra from a bean.
Young horses don't usually have medical issues otherwise, but can get dirty from sweating, dirt accumulated from rolling and just gunky....

When you learn how to clean and rid the bean {ask the vet they will teach you} use protective exam gloves to keep the smell and gunk from your hands. Many people find the odor offensive and it is not the easiest to get rid of....
I find less chance of scratching the horse with a fingernail edge when my hands are in protective vinyl gloves too.
🐴....

·
Registered
Horselover4eva!
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unless you know how to check for a bean and clean a sheath you need someone who does and preferably a vet in case there is something needing medical intervention the vet is present to render care and possibly drugs.
Most times a reduced stream and splashing has to do with a blocked urethra from a bean.
Young horses don't usually have medical issues otherwise, but can get dirty from sweating, dirt accumulated from rolling and just gunky....

When you learn how to clean and rid the bean {ask the vet they will teach you} use protective exam gloves to keep the smell and gunk from your hands. Many people find the odor offensive and it is not the easiest to get rid of....
I find less chance of scratching the horse with a fingernail edge when my hands are in protective vinyl gloves too.
🐴....
Thank you so much for yalls advice, I will see about getting a vet out here.

·
Premium Member
Horse loving mama in Texas
1,258 Posts
Take your gelding or get the Vet out there ASAP he's more then likely has a bean blockage if you have never had him clean before. And another thing I had a gelding that would act like he needed to pee (I though) and he would stretch out to pee and it would drip a bit and he was doing this often within a couple of days, I though bean so checked him for a bean no bean, will he got to doing this more and come to find out he was having a mild case of colic, took him to the Vet and is what he was doing colicing in a very mild manner.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I agree with above you really need to get the bed out. I had this happen with my mini pony he was really aggressive to have anywhere near his she touched and had a reduced stream. I had the vet come out and she had to sedate him and clean it. he had a been the size of a walnut come out. He has he now is on a schedule of a six month cleaning by the vet and I do what I can in between. If he’s having problems urinating he can be very aggressive to it being touch because it might be painful so I would be extremely careful when you go to touch it!!! Mine still tried to kick under a pretty hefty dose of sedative.

·
Registered
Horselover4eva!
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
they did find a small bean and I am not quite sure what the antibiotics for other than prevention of infection on his legs also, because he had been pieing on his legs the fur was matted and stained so the vet shaved it off and he had some scabs/blisters on his legs, he is also on anti-inflammatory meds because he was a little tender and swollen. but no infection that I know of.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts