The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Deer season will soon be upon us so the plan is to hang streamers partly braided into the mane. That or an orange band around the neck, or both. It will just be inexpensive survey ribbon which will easily break if it gets caught on something.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Do you mean for this to be used while the horses are in the pasture? If so, along those lines, do you think it would be useful and practical to tie ribbon around a horse's girth area? The thought being (I don't hunt so this may be wrong) that hunters shoot at that area for deer and therefore would, or should, spot it before any damage is done.

·
Super Moderator
15,271 Posts
Put jingle bells on your horse.

Sew them on his halter, on his bell boots or on a piece of velcro attached around his ankle... tie them in his tail, some in his mane...

Make him heard and seen... hunters may be ****ed but they will know it isn't a deer to be shot at if it tinkle,tinkle,tinkles when it moves.
:)

If I trailride during hunting season besides wearing a bright orange vest or jacket, I also tie bells on the horse and on me so if I become grounded from a fall I don't get shot at either...
:wink:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
You using a blanket? They make horse-safe paint. I often use it to draw out the anatomy when teaching youngsters. I bet you could find a bright orange color to use.

BTW, love the bells idea.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I grew up in prime deer hunting territory in Michigan. My neighbor's mule was shot one year, so I was extremely-cautious with my horses!

Whenever possible, they were only outside during daylight hours. If they had to be outside during dawn/dusk, the chestnut paint with white tail hairs (looked somewhat like a white-tailed deer from a distance) wore a full hunter-orange sheet, the mostly white paint and the gray wore hunter-orange sleazy sleeper type hoods.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am a hunter and a horse Daddy. Any hunter worth their salt will know what they are shooting at before pulling the trigger, unfortunately there is a bunch of them out there not worth their salt. Its a crying shame we are evening having this chat, but I do like the survey tape idea. Good Luck all.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Survey tape is a good idea. What color is your horse? Orange paint won't show up on all colors, unfortunately... If he is gray or white, or a lighter color, then you may be in luck.

I'm glad there's no hunting in my area... I'd be super paranoid x.x

·
Registered
192 Posts
Bright orange or any bright paint in general (extremely bright blue, yellow, orange, etc.) around the shoulders, full orange blankets, love the bells!
Out on the trail, bright paint on the hindquarters. Invest in a blaze orange saddle pad and *maybe* that bright synthetic/nylon tack, like a halter bridle. I wear a chartreuse yellow vest when I ride only because there was no orange available, but definitelywear loud colors out on the trail!
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.