The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://useventing.com/news-media/news/usea-young-rider-passes-away-in-riding-accident

·
Banned
2,431 Posts
Sad, but not tragic. It's only tragic if it wasn't part of the bargain. Everybody human involved knew the risk, the only victim who didn't have a say in assuming the risk was the horse. That's tragic.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yes, it is very tragic when a human looses their life and at such a young age. Very sad the horse didn't make it either. Prayers for the family.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
We were chatting for just a moment about this at the barn a few days ago.

We already require helmets for jumping. Me and some of the other ladies I ride with also use the protective vests. We were talking about how we could further mitigate risk, and want to propose a rule to the BO that you can't jump alone, you need to have someone on the ground with you in the event of a serious incident like this. We have our group of jump people, but there's a few strays at our barn, who were either trained in jumping and do it solo, or some people who just think it's fun to randomly try it.

We are also looking into rebuilding a cross country course at our place. My big thing, it has to be safe! I know they have more recently started making those fences safer. Risk mitigation is so important!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.