The Horse Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
when we first started showing my gelding, before we got decent at banding his mane, we kept a small curling iron in the show bag (I can't remember how it worked, but it didn't plug in). We would curl down the places that stuck up. As I got better at banding, we didn't need to do it. It never hurt him or his mane...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wouldn't do it. It will damage the hair and why would you anyway also it will probly burn the horse even when you havent ever burned yourself......:)

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
It never hurt him or his mane...
You may not have burned him, but yes, if the curling iron was hot, it did hurt his mane. It burns the hair, takes out the moisture, and results in brittle, dry hair. Maybe you didn't use it long enough to see the difference, but I can assure you, it most definitely happened.

It just seems bizzare and pointless to me. Gel and hair spray? Sure. But a hot iron? Must your horses hair be straight as a ruler? It's just weird.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I wouldnt be scared to, and yes you could. I wouldnt because arent manes dried out enough as it is?

Chemically i would NEVER EVER EVER EVER do it. Why would you put chemicals on a mane..?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think you should appreciate your horse's natural beauty. All the straightener would do is dry out and damage a perfectly good tail. I understand that you are just curious, but I would much rather have a curly, healthy tail on my horse than a dry, damaged, unhealthy one. My filly has a curly tail, she gets ringlets and everything. I love it, it's part of who she is, and it's so thick and healthy, I wouldn't want to do anything to risk losing it.
Do you wear makeup? and not only that, when we show horses, we put tons of stuff on them to make them more presentable, but none of it hurts them, so i guess it doesnt really matter...lol.

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Whether I wear make up or not isn't the point. That isn't the same thing as using a straightener. Make up doesn't kill my skin. A straightener would kill my hair. I just think using a straightener on your horse might make him look good for awhile, but then the hair will be dry and brittle and hard to work with and you'll end up with a mane that looked worse than before you bothered to touch it. You say it's all about looks to make them presentable but isn't it better to have them presentable forever than for a month? Sure, you can roach the mane and repeat the process but it just seems unnecessary.

·
Registered
188 Posts
You may not have burned him, but yes, if the curling iron was hot, it did hurt his mane. It burns the hair, takes out the moisture, and results in brittle, dry hair. Maybe you didn't use it long enough to see the difference, but I can assure you, it most definitely happened.

It just seems bizzare and pointless to me. Gel and hair spray? Sure. But a hot iron? Must your horses hair be straight as a ruler? It's just weird.

Yes, it honestly has to be straight. When you have a 3 inch mane that's put in tiny bands it looks pretty ridiculous anyway but straight. And frankly, I can promise you that the little bit of heat that I put on it did not hurt him. His mane was washed and conditioned before and after.

How can you be sure that it would hurt them?? You sound like you know from experience.

·
Registered
188 Posts

sorry for the double post, my computer sucks at life today.

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
Have you ever seen a girl who straightened her hair every day? The hair is dry and brittle and tangles much easier. Straighteners burn the hair and kills it. I don't need to have experience to know that, it's common sense. And it doesn't hurt the horse, it hurts the mane.

My horse used to show in Paint shows all over the place and has TONS of points, and I can assure you, she was never touched with a straightener. Her mane was banded with gel and hairspray and a slinky over her neck. It flattens the bands or braids against the neck, and if it's wet, it will stay.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Before i cut my hair off, I used to straighten my hair every day or every other day. I took care of my hair though. I made sure it was properly conditioned and moisturized and I don't have brittle or coarse hair. It's very easy to fry your hair though so I see what you are saying...it IS avoidable though.

And I burn myself all the time. I'm a clutz but so is my horse sometimes.
I have blow dried my horses mane/tail before though before a class when it was still damp. I've also seen people dye their horses mane/tail.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My horse used to show in Paint shows all over the place and has TONS of points, and I can assure you, she was never touched with a straightener. Her mane was banded with gel and hairspray and a slinky over her neck. It flattens the bands or braids against the neck, and if it's wet, it will stay.
I agree completely we just had to learn to do the bands right before we could get away with that. I'm not trying to say that we took the curling iron to his whole mane every time, it was simply for spot treatments.

I know what flat irons do, I use one every other day and use a blow dryer the days that I don't flatten it, but I also know that if precautions are taken it can be done without causing harm.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have been straightening my own thin, fine hair for about 5 years... everyday, and it honestly isn't dead, brittle or breaky. Its really soft and silky! :p

I think it would be pretty difficult to straighten horse hair since it's so coarse but I don't see anything wrong with it.

I wouldn't want to straighten the mane since it's shorter than the tail, there more chance for a burn.
But tails are so long.. I don't think it would be a big risk for burn if you hold it away from the horse's body.

Horse hair is so strong and thick I don't think it would kill it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've also seen people dye their horses mane/tail.
I have definitely done that before. Max's black tail would bleach in the sun and the difference between his real tail and fake tail would be very obvious. To fix it, we would dye his tail at the beginning of the show season and then leave him put up during the day for the rest of it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Have you ever seen a girl who straightened her hair every day? The hair is dry and brittle and tangles much easier. Straighteners burn the hair and kills it. I don't need to have experience to know that, it's common sense. And it doesn't hurt the horse, it hurts the mane.

Yes, but it is not like we show everyday. I strighten my hair everyday, and it is quite soft :) Of course, im not going to staighten it for little shows, probably only at worlds, where it really matters. But i can see where u are coming from, though as long as the right precautions are made, i dont think it would hurt:)

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
For some reason, this topic made my think of that age old practice of "singeing" a horse. Anyone ever heard of it? When me and Shay-la saw the video, our jaws dropped. I guess if you know what you're doing, it's no different then being a vet or farrier, but holy man, I don't think any amount of hair could convince me to set my horse on fire! For anyone who doesn't know what it is (maybe it has a different term, been awhile since I saw the video), it's basically an old old method of "clipping". You basically take this weird looking comb like tool, which is actually set on fire (the blaze is kept tiny) and you "brush" your horse and it takes off all the outer hairs. I'm not sure if anyone can find the video, but the horse is darn near falling asleep, totally unconcerned that he's being demonstrated as a pony candle :lol:

WOOT! Found it! Very interesting, in any case

The old-fashioned art of Singeing, at Badminton Stables - Horse Hero

As for the straightener, as long as you were to use proper products to keep the hair moisturized, just like humans do, I don't really see the big deal with it. You'd just have to be mega careful about not burning the horse.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I wish i could see that video!!!!!!! I tried to curl my ponys tail once with a curling iron back when i was 12. It didn't work that well, and i didn't burn him. -Shrugs- Its a phase.

·
Registered
344 Posts
woa mackabre! That looks so weird!

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Theres a few places that do that singing type stuff on people I've seen, but never on horses! I think Diesel would kill me if I came at him with a flame

21 - 40 of 46 Posts