The Horse Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
I straighten my hair pretty much everyday, but i also use a thermal protection spray and condition my hair properly.

As for horses i would rather use a slinky while the hair is wet, that pretty much makes it straight as a needle.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
For some reason, this topic made my think of that age old practice of "singeing" a horse. Anyone ever heard of it? When me and Shay-la saw the video, our jaws dropped. I guess if you know what you're doing, it's no different then being a vet or farrier, but holy man, I don't think any amount of hair could convince me to set my horse on fire! For anyone who doesn't know what it is (maybe it has a different term, been awhile since I saw the video), it's basically an old old method of "clipping". You basically take this weird looking comb like tool, which is actually set on fire (the blaze is kept tiny) and you "brush" your horse and it takes off all the outer hairs. I'm not sure if anyone can find the video, but the horse is darn near falling asleep, totally unconcerned that he's being demonstrated as a pony candle :lol:

WOOT! Found it! Very interesting, in any case

The old-fashioned art of Singeing, at Badminton Stables - Horse Hero

As for the straightener, as long as you were to use proper products to keep the hair moisturized, just like humans do, I don't really see the big deal with it. You'd just have to be mega careful about not burning the horse.
Back when I was a teenager (a loonng time ago) we would twist a strand of hair and run a match down the strand to remove split ends :shock: They even did it in beauty salons.
I can see the point of a flat or curling iron for a horses tail/mane during a show or special occasion. I don't think the OP meant to do it every day. Wouldn't that be a PITA, to have to do your horses hair every day :lol: Bad enough to have to do your own.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I do it before shows and when i'm growing a hogged mane out, it helps it lay down flat faster, and it gives a plaited tail a more formal look! I find that it thins the actual strand out a lot better than pulling it, and you don't have to keep doing it! :D:D:D:D:D

41 - 46 of 46 Posts