The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live out in East Texas, and going to the vet tomorrow for vaccinations and coggins test. Is there any specific vaccine that I should get? And what will they vaccinate them for? Have never vaccinated my horses before but going to start doing it and would like to know if there are any specific ones I need to get or if they will just vaccinate for everything.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I generally do tetanus, rabies and west nile. west nile has been found locally, as has rabies and we have a lot of rusty barb wire on the property. Vaccines generally depend on your situation, and you horse (age, general health, living circumstance)- other shots are recommended for horses who travel with unknown horses or show a lot. Some people vaccinate against any and everything, some don't do much at all (if any). A lot of people here are in the latter group.

I would suggest speaking with your vet, describe your current circumstance and any changes you plan on making. They can usually point you in the right direction as to what your horse would benefit from and give you a good balance between cost effectiveness and protection.

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
I live out in East Texas, and going to the vet tomorrow for vaccinations and coggins test. Is there any specific vaccine that I should get? And what will they vaccinate them for? Have never vaccinated my horses before but going to start doing it and would like to know if there are any specific ones I need to get or if they will just vaccinate for everything.
I give my horses Vetera Gold + VEE, and Rabies. The Vetera Gold covers WNV, Tetanus, Flu, Rhino, and the Sleeping Sicknesses.

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
Thank you Dreamcatcher, I will look into those! :)
I switched to the Vetera Gold because I could give only 2 vaccinations instead of 3 or 4 as I'd done in the past and I've got 2 horses now that both have site reactions to Ft. Dodge products, so I had to switch. So far, I've been pleased with Vetera.

We're in the WNV & Rabies corridor, so whatever you choose, don't skip those.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.