The Horse Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,212 Posts
Vaquera....totally forgot about those...:eek:

So addresses of social media groups are not permitted on the forum {its a rule!}....
There are so many Facebook groups in many areas for riding friends, places to board, tack and horses for sale.
If you not belong, consider a account for no other reason than to utilize these pages/groups...
I think this is where more "advertise" than the large commercially recognized sales pages.
I know I belong to several groups for all those kinds of things and have been able to find or sell when it was needed tack and horse.
Expand your area to a bit farther out looking for a horse/boarding and some people do post in the wrong locales by accident.
I don't do "social media" much so there may be other venues that offer these kind of pages in your region.
Just remember to look with critical eyes of a adult which means put the heart away while looking at and once a decision is made then the brain part takes a back seat and let the joy in the heart free...
I hope with all the ideas presented your "vent" becomes a post of "happiness" in what you've found.
🐴...

·
Registered
636 Posts
My gosh, seriously? A grand a month for board? If I paid that I’d expect vet care, farrier work and training thrown in as well.
But I don’t live in Metro Texas. I think you might try asking a local equine vet or farrier for recommendations. And since western riding is so much more relaxed, perhaps you could transition to that and lose the “snoot” factor.

·
Premium Member
13,275 Posts
Where I live in Arizona, your best bet would be a stable (they don't call them barns around here) that caters to trail riders. Then buy a physically sound horse with minor issues and ride out those issues - green broke, or spooky, or barn sour, etc. The horse would gain value as the issues were dealt with so, if need be, you could sell the horse easier later on. A horse like that around here will be "western". All that means is that the horse won't have experience jumping and won't be expecting constant contact.

Lessons? Around here, the places that offer quality lessons in English riding tend to charge more $$$$ for everything. I only know of a couple places within an hour drive of me that MIGHT offer quality English instruction. Places that will board your horse - small places - are more common. Western being much more common, one gets a lot more variety. None of the non-show stables around here that I've seen would blink an eye at someone direct reining their horse and I don't think many of them would object - blink, maybe, but not object - to someone using an English saddle.

When you can't find X in your price range, it may be time to look for Y. Where I live, good luck trying for quality English riding! Instructors and horses with a barrel racing or roping or flag-carrying drill team background would be more common and less pricey.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Up near Frisco is just an overall expensive area in general. How far are you willing to drive? South of Dallas, boarding is much more reasonable but the trip can be brutal thanks to traffic. The Aubrey area is also a bit of a drive from you (it's further north) but they have multiple horse facilities up there, you may be able to find something more reasonable in terms of board.

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
Have you looked at rescues? or some of the auction sites ? I know its a big gamble but you may find something for less, and then be able to put some time or training into it. I have seen some nice TB's at some of the TX lots.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I wrote out a response, but I want to have a heart to heart first....I too am a black rider. I know how it feels to feel as if you're isolated. From a class perspective as well, sometimes if can be a double spear to the heart. It can be very tough in this sport at times feeling like an outsider--but we are also here for the love of horses and riding. Don't let anyone's opinions get in the way of that. Let your riding and horsemanship speak for itself.
Now...

Currently, your budget of $4,500 in this market is indeed a bit tight. Especially for a made horse (who is also hopefully safe). The board though seems a bit high for your state to me but I guess it depends on your exact location (close to the city or not). For here, New York, board is typically in the $1k-2k range, sometimes $700-900 for rough board. If you are near many show barns you'll be paying a hefty price for services. You might want to save up a little to pay for a few months in advance, especially when you get your horse. This will save you a headache, and if you're still working, you can save up for the next few months as well instead of worrying about when 'rent' is due.

As for the horse it might be difficult to get the perfect non-vice horse for that amount, but it depends on how much you're willing to work with him/her. You can look at ads on social media, horse forums like this one, and places like equine now and horse clicks. If you're dedicated, you can make a good horse out of most of them. (I would just avoid rearers and those that fail ppe/pre vet exams of course).

You'll get there sooner than you think.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just yesterday at the barn a woman told my friend about an app called equine trader. It's supposed to be world wide. You can put in your exact requirements for what you're looking for. It's a free app. She called the app "dangerous" because you'll want to buy them all. I'd never heard of it and I can't use the app on my laptop. There's also dreamhorse. I've been trying to help my friend find a horse and have just put in what she's looking for in the search engine on my computer and get a lot of links. I'm in Canada but since we keep finding horses listed for the U.S. it should work for you too?

·
Super Moderator
27,068 Posts
I am going to assume it's because of the level of showing you are at that you are looking at a specific level of coaching and are used to a type of barn. When I was in the hunter jumper world I remember that most of my friends boarded at some pretty high class barns. They easily spent $1000 per month on barn and more than that on lessons.

I think if you are willing to, look at smaller barns that have the ring that you need. I would think in TX an indoor isn't as important as it would be here. A good round pen and a ring would be nice though.

As for lessons, think about what you need and if you can get it at a smaller barn or consider needing to haul out for lessons. I would guess that you can probably get what you need at a smaller barn.

$4500 used to be a fair amount for a decent horse but the other day I saw a 21 year old trail mare for $2500! Prices are crazy! Be patient and maybe look for something green that you can finish?

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check your local tack and feed stores, talk with the folks who work there. They know most everyone in the area in the horse business, many of them horse owners themselves.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Quick update: I purchased an OTTB. She’s a project but a real dream when it comes to looks and temperament! I’m planning on using her for hunters! So grateful to have her! Also found a great barn where I’m now boarding and training (you all were right, I had to get on the outskirts of Dallas. Way less snooty and discriminatory).

thank you for all these responses!

·
Registered
49,731 Posts
Ditto @horselovinguy - I think Craiglist is an excellent tool to use when looking for horse-related things, boarding in particular. My previous and current boarding barns were both found on Craigslist, one was $200/month for full-care minus pitching in for weekend chores, the other is $225 for full-care. Obviously the actual prices are going to vary dramatically depending on where you are, but my point is that the best deals are often found on Craigslist or other low key local advertising resources. Neither of them were show barns and neither would show up anywhere on a google search - they were both run by retired ladies who didn't need to make a profit, just enjoyed seeing the horses. Neither had drama, both were very quiet, and my horse was/is extremely well-cared for. Places with nearly identical amenities would have cost $600+ if I was only inquiring about show barns or places with internet business pages.

you couldn't board a cat for that price around here! think $800 + for full care around here (Seattle area) further out, the cheaper places may go as low as $550. but, no lower.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts