The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pony has done this for years usually around shedding time which is round about start of may time. This year he started what looks like scratching out his coat leaving raw red patches also it seems his skin his so dry it's flaking of with patches of coat, he started doing this middle of winter about mid December which he has never done before. I have done a topical treatment for lice and mites and I am looking into supplement for him I've heard linseed is good.

These patches are all around his body usually they were just on girth area and armpits.
Any advice about preventing this would be much appreciated.

Attachments

11 Posts
Try some anti bacterial cream on the really bad rubs and try using unscented of original head and shoulders soap. If that doesn’t help you may want to ask anyone around your barn to help. If it doesn’t clear up after shedding season you may want to give the vet a call.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Have you ever tried Animal Legends Tea Tree Ade? I refer to it as my “magical solution”...it seems to help with just about any skin issues. I use it on my horse. I use it on my cats. I use it on myself! It’s really worth a try!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I would probably clip him. Here in Florida, it is time for clipping everyone. My old mare has cushings and had oozing lesions on her back (rainrot plus skin infection). Clipping the hair reduces the trapped humidity and allows the skin to dry out.

If you have an infectious agent (lice or mites) clipping the area makes it easier to treat. Depending on your weather, you may want to clip just the affected area and not the entire horse.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you ever tried Animal Legends Tea Tree Ade? I refer to it as my “magical solution”...it seems to help with just about any skin issues. I use it on my horse. I use it on my cats. I use it on myself! It’s really worth a try!
I've not tried it but I will give it a go thank

1 - 5 of 5 Posts