The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the vet out a few weeks ago to do fall shots and float teeth.

Got the bill.

$355.00.

I about died.

I'll be making payments on it. I don't have that kind of extra money this time of the year. In fact, any more, I NEVER have that kind of extra money.

In the spring I'm doing my own shots.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
*Gulp*

I had the vet out about a month ago 'cos my girl colicked. Same-ish amount since it was an emergency call.

Worth it of course...but still...yikes!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I always do my own shots, saves big time! Teeth are something you have to have done. 355 really doesnt sound all that bad if you have more than 2 horses! My dentist charges 100 just for the basic. And the vet is over 60 a horse for shots plus 50 to pull in the drive. We have two horses.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have two horses. Floating the teeth was $68.00 each. The shots were VERY expensive, IMHO. I will be buying my own in the spring.

·
Registered
831 Posts
That actually sounds pretty average for two horses. I just got my boys early October, but I was given all their records from the last two years and it looks like my vet charges 75.00 per horse for floating and then for both horses it was 40 for their 4 way, 30 for their rabies, and 50 their WNV. I also see a charge for sheath cleaning of 50 for both and of course Coggins at 68 for both. The total bill was 445.00 after it was all said and done and that included a 65 trip charge. OUCH!!! I'm going to look into doing shots myself too and for those of you with geldings, do y'all do your own sheath cleaning? I mean 25 a pop just for that? Anyway, I hope my vet also has a payment plan. I haven't met her yet since I got my boys so we'll see.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Sheath cleaning you could definitely learn how to do yourself.

I've done my own shots for years, because of the ridiculous charges to have a vet to it. Rabies is the only one you can't do without a vet; you 'normally' can not even purchase it, unless you're in a state that doesn't require a vet certificate to verify the horse actually has had it; your own records won't suffice there.

As far as the charges you've gotten, it does sound about 'right' for all the work you had done; ridiculous yes, but 'normal'.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
We always do all routine care (shots, minor cuts, sprains, etc) ourselves and put the $$s we save away for vet emergencies (knock on wood). Our vet is very reasonable for emergencies and freely admits that the 'bread and butter' for them is 1) folks who don't do their own shots, 2) rabies (can't do yourself in NC) and 3) Coggins (which he calls a horse tax :)).

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I've never actually thought about doing my own shots. Can you just buy them or do you need a 'script from the vet? Not saying I will do this in the spring but definitely something I'd like to know more about.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
I've never actually thought about doing my own shots. Can you just buy them or do you need a 'script from the vet? Not saying I will do this in the spring but definitely something I'd like to know more about.
Except for rabies, which most states restrict to vets, no script is required. You can buy them from the large internet equine sites or from most feed stores.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Thanks PaintHorseMares for the info! And I have plenty of time before the next round of shots to do more research. Cool!

The only other thing...my mare freaks when the vet comes near her with a needle. She will plant her head on his chest any other time but as soon as the needle is in his hand...she starts circling. A topic for another thread for sure but also something I have time to solve.

Sorry 7Ponies for going off topic. :oops:

·
Registered
481 Posts

Got the bill.

$355.00.

I about died.

I'll be making payments on it. I don't have that kind of extra money this time of the year. In fact, any more, I NEVER have that kind of extra money.

I can totally relate. I recently had radiographs done on my mare, was told would probably run 175ish... ended up was 360. When the vet gave me the total felt like I'd been kicked in the chest :shock:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Our vet bill was $550. Shots and coggins for 4 horses and the trip out. Have a new big truck now so I will save myself the $50 and make the trip myself. I have a pony and a baby that are not to keen on shots and having blood drawn. I'd rather let him do it and save myself the headache.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Just be careful where you get your shots. A lot of places don't store them properly or sell expired vax. If you have a good relationship with your vet you can talk to them about where to get them or sometimes even buy the shots from the vet at a reduced rate.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
We have the vet out in the spring to do all 4 horses and 6 dogs vaccinations. Then I haul the horses in for teeth floating around the same time. It takes me most of the summer to pay it off.
There have been times when the bill keeps getting added to over the time I can pay it off and it does get overwhelming. Thankfully my vets office is great about letting me just pay what I can.
I've never had the thought "is it worth it?". It is, and its so much cheaper than a weekly appointment at a shrink :lol:

·
Registered
301 Posts
:-(I'll share my pain with you.... My mare had ventral midline edema, severe swelling, then she went dead lame, both front feet - that lasted almost a month and my Vet was doing all she could think of but my mare wasn't improving - so.....I went for a second opinion and that Vet found a HUGE tumor on one ovary and sent us to The University of Georgia Vet Hospital.
The surgeon removed the tumor (probably over 10 pounds) and ovary, and had to remove the other ovary as well. She is recovering from the surgery but is still having a lameness issue so I got another bill yesterday for another $329.00 ON TOP of the bill for $1,200 PLUS $1,100 for the second opinion PLUS $2,800 from UGA - I want to jump off a bridge!!!
OH.....but included in the $329 and $1,200 were fall shots and a sheath cleaning for my geldings!! YAY for that!
I guess it's bye bye savings -- and PLEASE Lord, let my guys stay healthy!
It's the price we pay for loving our treasured equine companions!

·
Registered
13,266 Posts

Got the bill.

$355.00.

I about died.

You know, doing shots is super easy. I learned with my first mare when I had the vet come out. I asked him to explain to me where and how to do them. They can show you which should allow you to save yourself probably around 20-25 bucks per horse. The shots themselves cost about 10-12 bucks to do.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Shots are super easy, but in my case, the shots are $40 a horse, and I can't buy that same shots for less than that, so we have the vet give them. If I could buy them for around $20, the same ones he says we need, I'd gvie them without a thought. We give our own to the dogs, cats, cow and goat.
Floats are $50 here, $35 vet charge per farm, $30 call charge, and then shots would be $40 each - we have 5.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Heck I'll trade ya vets. I had yearly vaccs on 2 horses, first time vaccs on my colt, and teeth floated on the two adults, and it ran me $680. The vet said my cost on the teeth floating the two adults was doubled because they are big (draft crosses) and took double the amount of sedative, for each, but sheesh! I'll definitely do my own vaccs in the future, I already do my own vaccs on the dogs anyways.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
>>he only other thing...my mare freaks when the vet comes near her with a needle. She will plant her head on his chest any other time but as soon as the needle is in his hand...she starts circling. A topic for another thread for sure but also something I have time to solve.<<

This sometimes can be totally taken care of by simply blocking(blindfolding) the horse before they see the syringe. ;) My blind appy no longer gets stupid at shot time cuz he can't see it coming. True.. My DIL's mare, Gypsy is bad about vac time for the same reason. We just toss a cover over her head. lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.