The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just lost two horses at the barn where I board. One from severe colic and the other from EPM. There was nothing that could have been done about the colic but if the EPM was caught earlier she would have lived..
The vet is coming out this month for routine vaccinations so I want to take advantage of her being there. Since vet calls aren't cheap. Because of the recent sudden deaths I am thinking of doing a complete workup on my little colt. What are some tests that I should look into asking my vet?
It has been hard on our barn family and I can't even think about losing another, so I guess I'm just being extra cautious.

·
Registered
41 Posts
To be honest, if you haven't had one done on him before, the only thing you REALLY need to do is get a full physical done. Ask your vet about other possible threats that you may want to have him tested for or to keep an eye out for (things that might be specific to your region, climate or the horses he's living with). Don't go insane with testing just because something happened to another horse. Unfortunately it happens, but as long as you're diligent about keeping an eye on him, your colt should be just fine.

Colic is nothing you can test for, and as for the EPM you just have to keep an eye on possible symptoms (which goes for any disease or health issue involving animals).

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Colic and EPM are not really things that a complete work up are going to help. Both illnesses are better prevented through management. EPM is spread by opossum so making sure they cannot get into your hay is one preventative, you cannot really make sure they are not going in your pastures though. Educate yourself on the symptoms of EPM and don't hesitate to call the vet if you suspect your horse has symptoms. Colic make sure your horse is getting fed appropriately with lots of forage, and clean water available at all times.

I understand your concerns and feel for those who have lost their horses so tragically. The best you can do is make sure your horse is being cared for in the best way possible and minimize the risk.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I wasn't talking about doing the workup for colic. It was more of a statement. I'm not that dumb lol. I was concerned about EPM since I don't have much experience with it. The owner would go to see her horse almost everyday and didn't notice the EPM. I think I'm just going to have a full physical for a peace of mind :p I only get to the barn once a week so I am not always there to notice any changes

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.