The Horse Forum banner

Video and Pictures from This Weekend's Rodeo

939 Views 7 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  AtokaGhosthorse
Starring: Trigger, AJ, Gina, B, W her 2 year old son and my daughter, and sometimes J.

Me and Trigger, Friday night... I had to tight rein him all the way through the grand entry, both nights, BUT THIS YEAR we made it through the entire thing, not just one circuit around and have to exit. We're followed by B and her son, W, on Gina (Sorrel) and AJ the Propane Tank. I know her name is on this, she doesn't care, I asked ahead of time.

Trigger acting kinda calm here... it didn't last long, but here's all of us again.

Pix are from Friday and Saturday night. Saturday, my daughter rode AJ in the Grand Entry. Little man was wore out and stayed with his grandparents, so we had a free horse. J also rode - he's the kid that has no clue, but loves horses, and that Superman, in his pre-retirement days, would pack around and show him the ropes. He was on Gina.

There's pix of Oops and Trigger all gussied up - Oops went Friday night to just stand around. Literally. I wanted her tacked up and just standing around getting used to having to stand around.

Failed to get pictures of AJ and Gina all dressed up - They were the last two to get dolled up and by then little man was there and it was like herding cats to keep him focused on not walking behind the horses or slinging ropes and stuff around.

Pix of AJ's big booty was while waiting on the farrier Friday. I'm going to try to put the pix in order, starting with Friday morning through Saturday night.

Oops standing in the stock trailer: I opened the stock trailer up, just to see what she'd do. She got in and didn't want to get out. The second pic is from about 5 minutes or more later. Still in there. LOL

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
These are from the parade and Saturday night. The kids pointing big? Were looking for Trigger and me... and that's when they saw us, WAY, WAY ahead of them. The friend that took these was wildly amused - she used to have a horse like Trigger that would get spun out emotionally, just over excited, at rodeos and parades and such, so she got a good laugh out of him.

Attachments

· Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have some other videos that are uploading... one is of an actual mounted artillery division that was there, presumably in WWI uniform and MAN was that so cool. Haaaa oh Oh! And they'd stop or go, in perfect time, as the sergeant (??? I don't actually know the ranks) would call out the orders. Each horse was a BIG bay, and some reminded me very much of Sarge, who I miss a lot, if I'm honest.

The Tulsa Rough Riders were there, an all black relay team, and I wish I'd gotten their picture or video too. All dressed up and looking sharp... all their horses were built like Trigger, moved like Trigger, and most were very loud pinto in color. They had their rodeo queen with them and she has a rich, dark chocolate skin tone, and all decked out in BRIGHT silver sequins and long silver fringe, head to toe. She was honestly hard to look at in the sun. Wasn't my style, it was WAY over the top... but I can appreciate the effort and work that went into her outfit, so yeah. It was pretty cool.

Trigger... he... did okay. All in all, I can't say he was excellent. He did get so worked up, at the grand entries, around the rodeo grounds, and at the parade, that he was completely emotionally compromised. He wasn't listening to me, he wasn't 'with me'. He made it about 3/4 of the way through the entire parade route, and on the return to the stock yards, started completely losing his noodle. Pitching on the front end, wanting to run through the bit, ignoring me, crab-stepping, hopping sideways... and this was on paved road. I'd already had to choose my battles with him because the crowd will put their kids RIGHT ON the edge of the street, on the curb, and we were on the outside edge of the 100 or so horses and riders. I went through a LOT of snacks to slow him down but ultimately, I lost him on the return to the trailer. I got out of the saddle in the middle of the street, and hand-walked him to a large grassy lot, and let him just walk circles around me like he was being lunged. When he'd show signs of calming down, I'd let him stand still, ask him if he was done, and the answer would be NOPE. And he'd choose to walk and walk and walk and trot circles around me. He wasn't coming back to me.

SO the final 3 or 4 blocks to the trailer, I hand-walked him. If he started getting ahead of me and shaking and acting a fool, I just stopped, held out my arm, gave him a full 6-7 feet of split rein to run with, and let him walk circles around me. I could see when he was 'coming back'... he finally got to where he'd stop when I stopped walking, and just stand there like a statue next to me. There were some folks on their front porch, watching us and they got a good chuckle out of him stopping like that. Then I tested to see if he'd back up when I backed up, or if he'd give me two eyes.

By the time we were back to the trailer, he was settled down, but we were the last to come in. A lot of folks were already loaded and rolling out by then.

The grand entries, he was spun out, wanting to prance and trot all around the arena. We did okay, but Saturday night he wanted to run off with me to the trailer, fought me when I tried to circle him, almost smashed into a parked truck, then calmed down just enough I could get him to walk back to the trailer.

All those places were locations where it was NOT the time or place to have a good throw down with him. I'm certain he gave me the best he was capable of, so he didn't get reprimanded. It's just going to take time, like trail riding has, to get him to understand he doesn't have to get spun out and hyped up. We're not there to RUN or compete, we're just there to chill and dress up and show off a little. He wanted to show off a LOT.

All the horses were fine. Gina tried being a rude heifer, and our friend G said: Lemme tune her up a little. She got on her, and was no more in the seat than Gina blew in two. G rode her out, then put her feet to moving. They returned 5 minutes later and Gina had a whole new attitude.

AJ was hot, tired and cranky by Saturday night, but she loaded better every go of it. By the end of Saturday night, she hopped in there like a champ. She goes to the vet at the end of the month for a check up on her knee. She's doing great with it, but she gets a check up and an xray every 6 months.

And here's the vids:

Mounted artillery:

Trigger, Emotionally Compromised. This was him being 'calm' but compromised and watching the slack steer roping. I was trying to catch the hard jiggling his head does when confronted with sensory overload, and missed it each time.

· Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@carshon Her knee is doing good. Farrier smooshed it around for me, said he could feel a little bit of fluid on it, but nothing to be alarmed about. She has a routine check up at the end of the month. She gets two bute the day before a ride, two the day of, and two the day after. She's loading more willingly but I'm also parking the trailers in a dip in our yard, so the back end is only a few inches off the ground. I just barely clear the edge of the driveway there, but she doesn't have a big step up to have to make to load or unload. She's rusty in terms of being ridden, doesn't want to neck rein, but knows how, but she's a big ol' gentle giant.

· Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, I was visiting with the president of our trail rider association and he was watching Trigger tap dancing around, and nodded and said: Yep. He had to have been a relay horse. It all makes perfect sense... *pause* Have you tried acing him?

I know what acing is... but I was kind of taken aback by the sudden, unsolicited suggestion that I sedate him.

Wat?

Y'know. Ace him. Just to take the edge off.

Me: Oh crap no. I figure he's had quite enough being sedated in his life before me. We're 3 years into a recalibration - I don't want to start cutting corners and taking short cuts now. He is what he is and I'll deal with him.

Later, telling B and G (The one that gave Gina an attitude adjustment) about it.

B: Yeah. If someone is suggesting you ace a horse, in my experience, they've aced their own horses. Pretty sure he aces his daughter's barrel horse (She's late teens/early 20s, wants a 1D horse, can barely stay on the 3D horse she has).

G: Don't ace him (Sounds about half-feeling sorry for Trigger)

Me: Nah. I won't. He's come a long way and I'm not going to do that to him.

G: Well. *firm, approving head nod my way* By Gawd. At least y'ain't gonna be a (Insert P word for kitty cat here) about it!

Coming from G, that's high praise. LOL She'll tell anyone that: By gawd, her on that little paint horse... they can hang with ya! (on rough and hairy trails). She earned my respect the first time we rode together!

Always makes me feel better to hear that coming from her. :p

· Registered
15,208 Posts
Fun!!!! I love the western Texas type accents! Thank you for posting all that, loved it!

Reactions: AtokaGhosthorse
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.