The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if someone could post a video with a comprasion between a horse working well like using its hindquarters and a horse not?
I know it may be alot to ask but when people post and say the horse isnt working from the behind or it is I cant tell

Thanks if anyone can find one or something

·
Registered
924 Posts
I don't have videos but I can show you some pictures. These are of my lunging my gelding the other day in side reins as I am trying to encourage him to lift his back. The first ones show him lifting at the trot. The canter pictures he's a little bracey and slightly more hollow in the last picture but you can tell that he is starting to use his back. They aren't dramatic but you can tell the difference relatively easy. You are looking right behind the saddle where the back meets the hips. You want them to tuck their butts a little and be at least level or a little rounded right behind the saddle. If there is a dip of any kind then they aren't "truly round and up in their backs" but most horses can't achieve any more than a slight leveling. My guy is getting there but he's not perfect and he's overcoming some conformational flaws in the process. I added a crappy confo shot for you see how much he is actually lifting his back. Hope this helps!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.