The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learned a new exercise (new to me anyway) for strengthening the upper leg, securing the lower leg, and finding your seat bones all in one exercise. It's simple but certainly not without pain. Here's what you do.

Hike your stirrups up so high that you need a leather hole punch a few holes above your last stirrup leather hole. Get on horse. Assume a half seat position. Your butt should almost touch the saddle but still clear it. Most of us lesser mortals will initially need to hold mane to keep this position. Walk around in that position until you can no longer hold it. When you can handle more torture, do it at the trot and then canter. With your stirrups hiked up, there is literally nothing keeping you up there but your lower leg, so it sure as heck better be secure. When you sit between sets, you'll notice that your thighs are so far above the saddle, you're sitting solely on your seat bones, which is great for balance.

I did this exercise once and a day later was posting 100% better using my thighs correctly instead of posting off my stirrups. Floppy dying fish legs are quickly leaving. Just wanted to share since everyone seems to want stronger legs, and this is a fantastic exercise. Have fun!

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Deal! I'm not riding again until Wednesday, but will bring camera.

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
I haven't had my butt in my english saddle in years....all I could think when reading that was OUCH! Thanks for the idea though, I am absolutely going to have one of my students try this, she is just learning and keeping her lower leg quiet is the hardest thing for her.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Hike your stirrups up so high that you need a leather hole punch a few holes above your last stirrup leather hole. Get on horse. Assume a half seat position. Your butt should almost touch the saddle but still clear it. Most of us lesser mortals will initially need to hold mane to keep this position. Walk around in that position until you can no longer hold it. When you can handle more torture, do it at the trot and then canter. With your stirrups hiked up, there is literally nothing keeping you up there but your lower leg, so it sure as heck better be secure. When you sit between sets, you'll notice that your thighs are so far above the saddle, you're sitting solely on your seat bones, which is great for balance.
Welcome to the world of track work :lol:

For extra points repeat in a racing pad...

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Yep Sarah^^^, Jim Wofford wrote an article about how to make your legs stronger. He suggested that Eventers start exercising TB's on the track - WHEW!!!! That would be a fun experience!

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I must admit, for the cantering part, I did assume the position on a grass track. Suffice to say, we kinda went along a little quicker than a canter! Very fun!!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
It is a whole lotta fun! Best investment for trackwork: Gloves and goggles cos when the wind is whipping through your face it makes your eyes water and if it is cold your hands literally freeze and lock into position!

Great exercise MBP, you know you are doing something right when it feels like your muscles are burning from the inside ha ha.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great exercise MBP, you know you are doing something right when it feels like your muscles are burning from the inside ha ha.
That's a very accurate description! Ugh. I still haven't located my left thigh since our last workout. If it works that quickly though, I'm all in. Puck thinks its fun too. He works first with our new found outside rein and then he gets to torture mommy.

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
As an event rider, I got a job galloping at the track to do this exercise. Unfortunately the only photos I have are galloping the arabs in longer stirrups. The TB's were routine and I never bothered to get pics. The short stirrups really burned your thighs!!!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I want to try this!

I'm not sure how long I'll last though, I'm betting my horse will take advantage of my vulnerability!

...And the neighbors may wonder at me.. Lol!

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
I wanna try this. Although I doubt I have to do extra-holes. Even on 5 or 6 it's already VERY high for me. :lol:

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
That is called a 2 point seat, & yup it's a killer. You don't have to raise your irons though and you should really do it at the trot. My riding instructor makes me do this exercise frequently, and I practise it at home, great check point for leg position. At a show recently, they asked for a 2 point canter in English Equitation, I killed it, my favorite class of the day!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
thats not a regular 2 point, that would be a jumping position. i could 2 pt allll day without tiring. raising stirrups intensifies it i'm sure.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
Technically, yes a 2 point seat is where 2 points of your body while seated on the horse line up. However, if you raise your butt off the saddle & lean forward this is where the exercise will begin w/o raising ur irons. Believe me, you couldn't ride like this all day, I have uber strong legs, I kickbox & do plyometrics (jump squats, scissor kicks, 180's etc), and I can only do about 10 to 15 minutes of this exercise because you are working the largest muscles in your body, your legs. If you are balanced and this forces your legs in the correct position you can ride raised out of the saddle and still have calf pressure on your horse's sides and ride properly. When my instructor first introduced this exercise, I thought I was gonna die, I was sweating! However since doing this for a year now, I find it a good check point for leg position and quite enjoy it.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Waresbear, hike your stirrups up to the last hole, try it, and get back to us about whether you find this to be the same exercise as trotting in 2-point. This post was meant to help anyone who is looking for a good all-inclusive exercise to strengthen and improve their legs. It was not intended as an argument starter over the finer points of 2-point semantics.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts