The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone! so as im looking for my first horse, i see a lot of horses i would really love to have, but they are either too advanced or too expensive. so im asking this question - when you were searching for your first/recent horse, what kind of horse did you want and what kind of horse did you end up getting?

so if it were up to me (and a few of my barn friends), i would be getting an ottb that is still kind of newly off the track. or i would be getting a more expensive, "fancy" horse. my horse would also be either a bay or chestnut mare with minimal markings. but, what my ability and my budget are actually telling me, is that i need a horse, probably a gelding, around 10 that can continue to help teach me. even if its "ugly". and thats probably what im going to get - nothing green, nothing hot, and nothing fancy.

so what about you guys? feel free to share your "dream horse" as well馃槉

Registered
Honestly, my dream horse right now is the one that I need. I have an anxiety disorder and I'm not sure I'll ever be completely "okay" again like I was when I was younger, so a hotter/more sensitive or reactive horse is out of the question for me.

I saw that need in stark contrast when I was leasing a Percheron who was more sensitive- I couldn't even get on him because I was shaking and sweating bullets. He was a lovely horse, typical younger ex-Amish plow horse who just needed some of his rougher edges polished- just little stuff like not wanting to hold his feet up, and not standing still to be mounted. He would have done great with someone with more confidence, but he was sensitive to my fear and I could tell it was making him VERY nervous. Every fiber of my being screamed at me that if I got on this horse, a wreck was inevitable.

So when I do horse-shop again (which is likely to be very soon) I will be looking for something that is rock-solid mentally, which probably means older and ugly as sin.

Registered
I hold my hand up and admit I am the worlds worst horse buyer, left to myself I make really bad decisions and buy pretty horses that "I can grow into" or that I can "fix"

Truth is some people, like me have no business in buying such horses, and it wasn't until I actually had a decent trainer, and got her involved that I found the right horse.

The Awesome Mr Gibbs, never advertised, came available by word of mouth, as the best ones often do, some people say he is handsome, but at first I did not think so, but over the last couple of years I have come to think he is incredibly handsome both inside and out. His story is linked on my signature line, here is the day I met him, a pretty uninspiring ride, brought out from a pen, covered in cow poop, but although he was hard work, he felt safe

30th June (6).jpg

We went on to become a great team, he is a great horse

Cassie.jpg

You can make a good solid safe horse a lot more responsive by training, but the good thing about Gibbs, I could get it horribly wrong and he would just roll his eyes at me and carry on.

Registered
I bought Bones in October. I had been horse shopping for a while. The horse I rode at the time was a huge qh half halter and half cow. I bought him with a little over a month of riding on him and used him for a ranch horse. He became super broke, but always had this edge that made me a little nervous. Although he was good for long days and good to rope he wasn't quite the athlete I dreamed of for the cutting or working cow horse arena.

So I planned on buying a dependable ranch and show type horse. I wanted a been there done that ranch type that was athletic and I could put some finishing touches on. I tried many horses. The few I liked were out of my price range, the rest I just didn't care for.

I called a friend to look at a mare and she happened to also have Bones. He was barely broke, but he was bred really well and a little lazy. His sire was by Mister Dual Pep and his dam had Smart Little Lena and Docs Tivio Bar.

I was impressed by the way he moved and the kindness he presented. He didn't fit any of my categories really. He was naturally gentle enough though and athletic.

So, my hope is that I bought my dream horse, just he isn't there yet. :) They say if he is like his daddy he will be exactly what I describe.

Reactions: JulieG

Registered
My dream horse would be a bay or buckskin with some white. Good, steady, not hot.

What I got was a 2yo barely-handed, loud black and white pinto, Percheron/paint stud colt who was 15hh and 1100lbs at the time. Don't ask. He kind of fell into my lap, for lack of a better explanation. Not what I would have (or should have) chosen for myself, but he's been a dream come true. He'll now be 7 in May, is close to 17hh (if not there already) and a good 1500+lbs...and I can't imagine life without him. It's been a long, difficult road, made more difficult by my lack of experience and lack of help training him, but he is my heart and soul and gives his 100% for me any time I work with him. He has, as a green 2.5yo, comforted me when I had a panic attack and has been my source of never-ending amusement when left to his own devices.

Registered
I would love to have a perfectly trained hunter/jumper. And we all know how much those cost! Plus, the ones around here are what I all pampered show babies that are used to a heated barn. That isn't in my budget right this second, nor would I really want a horse of mine living in a stall since I can't ride daily.

So, I settled for leasing a couple of trail QH's. They are super sweet horses, and while they don't have all of the "fancy buttons" of well-trained show horses, they are well-broke and not at all what I'd consider green. One of them is only 8 and I think has potential if I ever decide to invest in professional training for him (Casper, in my avatar). The other is 15 and probably not interested in new tricks, and he really doesn't have the build for it.

I will say it has been fun to have a horse I can teach something. I taught both of our horses the one-rein stop, and even though that move is really basic, I was proud that I taught them something new and saw the progress. I also taught Casper to lope off, once again, not anything terribly advanced, but something he can now do that he couldn't (or wouldn't?) before. So, that has been something fun that I didn't expect.

Registered
I wanted a 8-10 year old gelding, dark colored, because white/light horses were ugly. He needed to be trained in reining.

What I got: A free, 19 year old gray mare that was arthritic and trained in western pleasure that taught me lesson after lesson in patience, diligence, budgeting, real hunger and compassion. Not to mention the journey of confidence she led me through. RIP.

Now I pretty much have exactly what I want, which has changed drastically over the years. A stocky little cow-horse mare with a whole lot of grit who tests me but ultimately ends up taking care of me almost every ride.

Registered
I forgot to mention color in my first post and it's too late to edit...I wanted a tall dark (dark brown or black) lean hunter/jumper. You can see in m avatar my horse is not exactly that. :lol: I've never really liked paints, but he has grown on me and I love him like crazy.

Registered
hi everyone! so as im looking for my first horse, i see a lot of horses i would really love to have, but they are either too advanced or too expensive. so im asking this question - when you were searching for your first/recent horse, what kind of horse did you want and what kind of horse did you end up getting?

so if it were up to me (and a few of my barn friends), i would be getting an ottb that is still kind of newly off the track. or i would be getting a more expensive, "fancy" horse. my horse would also be either a bay or chestnut mare with minimal markings. but, what my ability and my budget are actually telling me, is that i need a horse, probably a gelding, around 10 that can continue to help teach me. even if its "ugly". and thats probably what im going to get - nothing green, nothing hot, and nothing fancy.

so what about you guys? feel free to share your "dream horse" as well馃槉
honestly at 13 I was tickled pink to get a $50 pony. Never did I care about color or if it was fancy. I learned and as I progressed they developed into fancy with better training and riding.

Registered
Oh, I forgot to mention, if you asked me what my ideal now is, I'm guessing that you would be on about page 6 before you would get to Chestnut mare with attitude, in fact it would make page 1 of the things I am not looking for Chestnut Mare with attitude, no thanks.

BUT, I was looking for a more forward going horse, one with enough 'spice' to be able to show, but enough 'nice' that I could cope with 'him'

Sadly my budget would not stretch to the 16.hh bay gelding school master gelding, which is why I ended up with mmmm well a 16.1hh Chestnut mare with some attitude. Once again found by my trainer, once again word of mouth never advertised, watching the trainer ride her, she is all that I want or more, me riding her MEH, not all that yet, but she is improving my riding no end...

7th dec4.jpg
7th dec3.jpg

Registered
I have a TWH. She is gorgeous (at least I think so), she is always willing to go, go go, and she is pretty sweet most days (she is a MARE, after all). The only thing I would change is her spookiness on the trail-and her abilty to spin and teleport (we are working on it).

I had a big ugly old gray gelding when I was a teenager. He took me anywhere I wanted to go (except over water) without batting an eye. I grew to love him, of course. I had no idea how lucky I was, and what a gem of a horse I had.

So my dream horse is an absolute, dead broke, willing, traffic safe, go anywhere trail horse who is also drop dead good looking.

Sometimes, we have to compromise.
M

Registered
I always wanted a jet black/ white Gaited horse SSH, or an Icelandic or a Lipizzaner.. yes I know all broad ends of a spectrum..lol.
I always wanted a gaited horse, didn't have any experience with them, and everyone I knew told me no, to go with QH's.. so I ended up with a sorrel mare, that wasn't anything that I wanted, but she worked for me, and taught me a lot, she was also too green for me, so we ended up selling her, then she was killed RIP.
I had given up hope of having a horse for a while, when we found a small ad written on like horsefinder for a horse in my color pattern, and in my budget and in my town, we had to go check him out. He was smaller than I was used to, and not a tank like my last horse, being a bigger rider I was wondering if he would be ok, but he seemed to ride better with me than my last horse and after a couple of visits I knew I had to have him, he has taught me a lot, and tries really hard to please, but tests me enough to keep my on my toes. He has bulked up and we did a lot of riding last year and I had a lot of firsts on him, like first real trail ride, riding on sand, in water, up/ down real hills, in traffic.. etc. He is always happy to see me and always seems happy to go for a ride, no matter the weather, how long he has been sitting. He loves to pose for the camera as well. His name is Renegade and I think it suits him well. He still has some training issues I need to work on, as I need some work on myself, so we are learning together, I don't see myself ever getting rid of him, even though he isn't gaited, and is more of a chocolate/ black then Jet black..ha ha

Registered
Golden horse,, i gotta say that I like the picture of the way your horse is going so much better in the bottom picture you posted, then in your avatar!
Look how the back is up so much better, and that good stride! Great improvement!

Well thank you Smilie, the avatar pic, maybe I should swap it out eh?, was taken during my test ride. The new one, well that was taken on a day I was struggling with her a bit, my trainer grabbed them to remind me just how far we have come, because she knew I needed the lift:wink::wink: That was September to late November, with limited riding due to harvest!

Registered
I thought I'd buy something fiery and flashy. Dark and handsome. A Friesian, at least! We'd do all the best things together. Definitely not a bay, as "bays are boring".

Then I fell in love with him.

Yeah.

Not really what I had dreamed of, but hey, love is love. He was (and is) perfect in my eyes. So I started my journey with this gangly, stubborn 5yo.

Now, 5 years later...

Whenever I think there are no new challenges left, he brings up another one. Whenever I think I have no ideas left, he comes up with his own. Whenever I'm proud enough to think I know what I'm doing, he gives me a reason to overcome this pride. :) Whenever I think I know all that he is - he leaves me wondering...will I ever be as smart as my horse is?!

So, whatever may I have wished for earlier, does not compare to what life brought. That taught me a very important message - trust your gut. It knows what you need, even if your mind cries for that flashy friesian-pinto-lusian-whatever. Even if it's "just" an old, boring dobbin, he might be just the one who takes you where you really need to be.

Registered
What I wanted: Short, colorful, a horse with a skill.

What I needed: Healthy, easy going, patient.

What I got: Tall, swaybacked, old, brown horse with some attitude problems. Not the healthiest of horses but definitely not at bad as it could be. He is extraordinarily patient with me all while testing me enough to ensure that I act like a leader. He is very forward and always ready to see what's around the corner.

Our of all the horses I might have ended up with I never would have chosen him. But here we are 3 years later and I wouldn't trade him for anything.

Registered
IMO you should never buy an ugly horse.

There is enough ugly in life without paying for it!!

But if you buy a horse that is your dream horse, the horse you can love, you see his beauty and he is everything you need - and I think it is ugly, that means nothing because beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and we all have different ideas to what is beautiful.

Thank goodness! Right? Imagine if 100 of us went to buy 100 horses and we all wanted the same one! Crazy lol

Registered
I was casually looking for a cowhorse prospect to replace my 1/2 Arab mare. My criteria was about 4-5 yo mare, good breeding, reasonably priced and hopefully a red roan. I ended up with a 2 yo sorrel filly with great bloodlines about 40 rides on her and at a rock bottom clearance sale price. She was very young but I knew her full sister & the seller (broker) owned the full sister and I knew her well as she was a co-competitor & friend. I went up to see her with some friends. Three of us rode her in the round pen. When she was riderless and my friend was moving her around the pen, the filly cut through the middle hauling buns, sat down and did a perfect sliding stop. I thought, "yea, I could live with that."

I wanted to check with my trainer before I bought her, but he was on vacation & I couldn't get a hold of him. My friend called me about 2 weeks after saying there was a lady from my town coming to pick up a horse and she could bring the filly down to me if I wanted her. I said OK. Was the best snap decision I've made. She is 7 this year and could be really competitive if I can get time to ride her more. These are from last year:

Registered
My dream horse was any horse when I was younger. I just loved them so much I didn't care about color or size or anything.....any horse would be my dream! As I got older I started having ideas of what I would want.

What I ended up with was a 3 yo Standardbred pacing gelding right off the track with a bowed tendon. Not super 'handsome' and not flashy or big. He is kind of unassuming and of course, 'plain bay' with very little white. 15 years later he is still my buddy and I couldn't ask for a better horse.

He can be stubborn, cranky and lazy; but when asked he has a lot of try which is all I ask for out of my horses. I would buy another like him in a heart beat.

I do not put a whole lot of stock in how 'fancy' or 'pretty' a horse is. The ugly ones are just as beautiful to me....guess it's just as well I like my Standardbreds (jug-heads) LOL :)

Registered
My dream horse was a huge black Friesian atleast 18hh bombproof and just movie ready ;)

I got a free 10yr old bay TB neglected who isn't bombproof but also isn't green. Funnily enough he is my dream horse he's absolutely gorgeous and I have fell in love with TBs so there you go.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts