The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hello!! First I want to commend you on thinking things through logically. Many people beg mom or dad to buy a horse and don't realize what all will be needed. here are my thoughts -

1.) Breed shouldn't matter so much. Look for a horse that has the abilities and training that you need. While I don't own one, I have heard that an appendix is a wonderful all around horse. You will want a horse that is athletic enough to jump and do dressage, but calm and even tempered enough to take you out on the trail. That can be hard to find.

2.) Age - I have posted this before. You want an OLD horse. Most young people want that 5 year old crazy horse they can show off on. That won't be the best for you. Think of it this way - a young inexperienced horse will need seasoned and trained. A young inexperienced (relatively) rider will need seasoned and trained. You will end up taking a big backseat to your horse's need for training. An older, been there, done that horse will allow you to concentrate on your riding and you will go farther faster.

3.) Price is very training and location dependent. Be thorough with your search. Don't close doors on gender, brred, height and you will find a great horse at a great price. There are a ton of horses needing new homes.

4.) height - this all depends on the width of your horse. A more slender horse will make your leg appear longer than a horse with a larger barrell. If you find a slender horse you may need to go taller than if you had a wider horse. Personally, I think people get too caught up in wanting a tall horse.

5) Exercise - I ride 3 times a week most weeks adn that is sufficient for keeping both us in riding shape. Some horses require daily work (riding, lunging, ground work etc) to get their energy out and others can be ridden once a week with no problems. On average I would say 3-4 times a week is enough.

6.) Sorry, I don't know anything about board in NY. A simple online search should bring up numerous barns in your area with board information on it with the price. You can get a good idea of services offered and prices that way.

One last thing - a lot of people in my area purchase their lesson horse after a while. It works wonderfully many times since you are comfortable with the horse already and have built a bond. Look into riding stables with that option or with a trainer willing to help you find a horse. Good luck!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.