The Horse Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m about to start hauling to barrel races, and I know there are rules or manners to the warm up ring, but I’m not sure what they are. When I used to barrel race, my horse always got there late (trailered by the barn she was at) so I warmed her up in a big open field, so I’ve never actually been in the warm up ring. If y’all would share some tips or things that get on people’s nerves that are done in the warm up pen, that would be great! Anything to not make me look like a total rookie😂 TIA

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'm not a barrel racer, however, I do go and watch my friends that do barrel race. This is a very relaxed and easy going crowd. Basic rules for any warm up would be: go with the flow (if everyone is going to the right--so do you), slower moving horses are more to the inside (middle) of the arena, look around and be aware of everyone's position, don't stop abruptly unless there is no one behind you. Give yourself at least a horse length between you and another rider. As I said, this is for a general warm up. You may get to the race and people are doing there own thing willy nilly and everything I said just went out the window LOL! But, they're definitely not a group that's going to ridicule and be overtly rude! You'll do fine! And have fun!

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Also don't stop in the entrance exit to chat, blocking other horses from entering or leaving the ring. Don't group together and either walk around side by side chatting and blocking the way for others or stop and stand with others and block the way while you visit.
The warm up ring is for riding your horse and getting ready for your class not a place to socialize, that can be done outside at your leisure, good luck and have some good rides and times.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts