The Horse Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a new horse I'm looking after once per week and there's a very very large sand school on site (YAY!)
I'd say I'm a higher level novice, so I wouldn't really be teaching the horse anything new, just improving my riding, control, and feeling the horse.
I love schooling, but I've never been taught any kind of particular warm-up.
He's a stocky little 13.3 new forest, 18 years old. I want to help him stay supple and have good stamina.
What would you recommend for a warm-up?
His owner said I can school him for around an hour so could you help me accommodate a warm-up to this?
What would you do different for warm/mild/cold/really cold weather?

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
It depends on the horse. Some need lots of time working on a long rein to stretch out their backs. Some are slow and dumpy and take forever to get moving, and others are like ticking bombs from the second you get into the saddle and need to be instantly on the bit and engaged in what they are doing.

Just listen to your horse. If you get on and he's stiff, warm up with a nice forward trot and mix it up with some changes of direction and suppling work. If he's stiffer on one side than the other, spend more time stretching out that side, etc.

This is the type of situation where you begin to transition from a passenger to a rider. You use the information the horse is giving to you in real time to dictate how you will be riding him on that particular day. Going in with a plan is a nice thought, but most times the horse hasn't read the memo and will have something obvious that needs to be worked on. Today I got on and had a horse with concrete jaw. We worked on releasing that tension first and then moved onto a "regular warmup".

Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts