The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a just turned 4 in May mare, and she has had a wart on her face since December. She is going to be sent to the trainer next month, and while I'm sure it wont be a problem, I'd like to help it go away faster before she goes.

I've been reading a million forums, I'm down to 4 treatments and curious what others have done! Compound W, Abreva, tea tree oil, and Crest Toothpaste.

It's not large, but my mother in law loves to pick at it which has made it larger... I admit it's hard to resist the picking lol

Anyways, what have you had success with?? I have approx 3 weeks, or less, to see if I can make a difference. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Is it just the one wart or does she have multiple all over her face?

My experience is that younger horses tend to get warts, but they clear up on their own after 6 months or so, depending on the health of the horse.

If it's just a single wart that's been there for more than 6 months I might just call the vet out to do a little surgery to remove it as it could be something else rather than a wart.

·
Super Moderator
14,767 Posts
I agree with Filou...
I would call the vet out, get a diagnostic and removal done, biopsy the thing and be sure of what this is not just go the old-wives tale remedies.
Pink skin on that nose would make me more conservative and cautious in approach it is what you think and not something else.
3 weeks will give you just enough time for a near full healing done before leaving for training.

:runninghorse2:...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts