The Horse Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night my son and I discovered the full evening coverage from the 2012 Olympics. They had all 6 hours, not just the 30 minute highlights that are normally shown on TV.

Even though it was old, it was new to us, and we loved watching it. I have always watched equestrian events of all sorts on TV as a horse lover, but this is the first time I've watched anything since starting to take hunt seat lessons. I was just AMAZED at the talent of these riders. Obviously Olympians are the best of the best, but the way they were able to keep their bodies and legs so still in such crazy jumping situations floored me. Not to mention the athleticism of those horses.

Has anyone else watched equestrian events on TV with new eyes after learning to ride?

I can't wait for this summer's Olympics!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
It's the age of some of those horses that amazes me! I really want to know what it takes to keep a horse sound and competitive at that level for so long!

It is one of the only Olympic sports where the age of the human participant doesn't effect their abilities. They just get better and better with time whereas all the other athletes in the other sports are done in their teens.

I do wish the networks would show more of the Olympic horse events, I can rarely catch them showing more than a clip here and there!

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the age of some of those horses that amazes me! I really want to know what it takes to keep a horse sound and competitive at that level for so long!

It is one of the only Olympic sports where the age of the human participant doesn't effect their abilities. They just get better and better with time whereas all the other athletes in the other sports are done in their teens.

I do wish the networks would show more of the Olympic horse events, I can rarely catch them showing more than a clip here and there!
Oh I agree!! Just to get them to that level would take so many years. And agreed about it being cool that rider's age doesn't matter, nor does gender.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts