The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you like it when people come to watch your private riding lesson? Your the only one in the ring... the trainer is teaching you..then people come down to the ring to watch..

I don't like it that much. I have my lessons on tuesdays..which is good because everyone is in school. So there is no one there to watch. But then when i have a weekend lesson..there are kids there hanging out..they would sometimes come down to the ring to watch. Im not to fond of that. There is one person i don't mind to much if she watches because she is quiet. But the others...they must go.:neutral:

This time of year,my horse tends to spook at things...so with the kids around i don't need him to spook at them if they are being silly.

So do you like it when people watch your private lesson?

·
Registered
237 Posts
It doesn't really bother me, when people watch. I just zone everyone out. It's just me and my horsey!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Back when I used to take private lessons I was a pretty good sized barn. There were always people around watching. Other instructors, riders, parents. The ring was big so sometimes other people would be riding in the other half of the ring. I never minded much. I guess I got used to it. Maybe you could just ask next time they are around that they keep it down or go somewhere else.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
At my old barn the dressage ring where I had my lessons was dead center, right in front of the barn, and people always watched, rode next to, and around the ring. I quickly got used to people watching the lessons, because frankly, I didn't have time to think about! I actually started to like it after a while, because people would watch a particularly good lesson and compliment Zeus' and my progress. Which always feels good. :]

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
When I was taking english lessons, I just zoned everybody else out. But on the other hand, I watched a lot of lessons to see how other people rode. Not critiqueing *spelling*, but trying to learn more. Kind of like a virtual lesson I guess.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I admit to feeling self conscious for about 2 minutes when someone else watches, then I zone them out and forget about them. It is a good thing for Tanner too, because he is also a pretty jumpy guy and if his pasture mate comes into the barn, he's through with me and only wants her. Getting him to focus on me and our ride has helped him heaps with learning he is "on the job" and has helped me be a better rider because now I know how to get him in the zone instead of staring at every little passing thing.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
At first I hated people watching me ride. But then I realised that I can't really do anything about it and as long as they don't distract me, I am fine with them there. Like everyone else, I kinda zone out, I don't really have time to worry about the people when I'm riding. Especially if I'm riding one of the edgy horses.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm perfectly fine with it because there are going to be "Railbirds" at Horse Shows, so my horse better be used to it.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
This time of year,my horse tends to spook at things...so with the kids around i don't need him to spook at them if they are being silly.
If you intend to show, your horse has to get used to distractions.

We don't mind folks riding during the lesson. No one is allowed to talk to the student or the instructor though. The student is paying for that time. If the same people seem to show up to watch though, it would be tempting to suggest an audit fee to the instructor.

·
Registered
495 Posts
i used to...not any more. even if you have a private lesson at my barn, you rarely have the arena to yourself. My lessons are Friday afternoons so the barn is very busy and people always come and hack their horses during my lesson. We just ride around each other *shrug* I never really thought much of it.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Personally, i dont really care, i dont even care if they want to critique me in their own minds. i ride how i ride, i am taking lessons and getting better. People have never really bothered me that much :p haha at shows we PAY PEOPLE to watch us!! thats pretty much what judges and shows are for, so why not at home too? lol

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I don't really mind people watching quietly. However, the barn I ride at is located near a preschool and this can cause problems. Children will run into the arena as well as dogs and cause all sorts of ruckus. I can tolerate distraction, but if I feel it is putting myself or my horse in danger I will ask them to leave. For example, I once asked a six year old who found an old lunge whip by the arena and was whipping it around to leave. I would not have asked him to leave if he stood quietly just to watch. If a rider I respect as a higher peer is watching me, I feel flattered.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I actually do not like people watching me. Not that I feel they are judging me, it's just that I like the private time between my horse and I. I find it annoying having someone glued to the fence. I actually prefer going up on off hours, having the whole barn to myself is very relaxing. I tend to do my own thing. Now I am at a smaller private farm so it works out well, however I have been to many places and it hasn't anyways been like that. I would try to just stay focused on what I was doing and it didn't bother me as much.

I guess I'm speaking of riding in general, not so much lessons.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I feel self-conscious at first, but like others, I zone it all out because I'm busy trying to do the 5 things at once that my instructor is asking of me. I certainly imagine them critiquing me, but I'm sure I do that same of them when they ride. I also like to be able to watch others ride with my instructor - I learn much that way as well. It is encouraged to watch when my instructor teaches anyone - and it's always free.

Of note, my barn (~35 horses) is all adult with like 2 teens. So when people watch, they are often very respectful and quietly whisper should they speak at all - so at least I don't have to worry about wayward children. (But I know that sometimes there are much better horsekids then horsewomen ;)

·
Registered
470 Posts
I mind because I'm a beginner and I'm already horribly emberassed when Cade has to watch my bump on Khamie with her bumpy trot :oops:
I really don't need other people to see my failure attempts at sitting it through haha :lol:

·
Registered
444 Posts
no one ever watches me but a lot of borders glance and wave but it dosn't bother me.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Bugs the poop out of me. I appreciate that J needs to learn to listen to me when there are distractions around and thats fine he can do that when we school alone, thats when I have no objections. However, I am paying money for a lesson and the last thing I want is people gawping and whispering at the side of the school, I do have to admit I am an extremely self concious person and I am aware that I can easily transmit this to J.

If I want to watch anyone else school (Outside of a lesson) I always approach the school and ask permission to watch.

Theres one guy in particular o our yard who has a fantastic relationship with his horse, they have both worked hard at their relationship and watching them you would think they could read each others minds, its amazing and, luckily enough he more than often doesnt mind me watching so I can try and glean some knowlege.

any way my point is I think if someone has paid for a lesson they should be allowed to enjoy it (or not!) in peace

my 2 pennies worth

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.