The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winter in MS apparently means rain, rain and more rain :frown_color:

After almost 2 days of cold, continous rain, my pony came back with some wet spots under her rain sheet. Looks like after 4 years the waterproofing of the sheet needs some help.

I would like to avoid anything that either needs a spin in the washer or dryer.

Any advice on what works well?

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
:rofl::rofl:

Since it's still looking really good, I rather keep it :wink:
Well...mine looked good too, but the horses got wet. Then I got a sale ad and so, yeah. New high neck sheets. My ponies are warm and dry (except the neck) and it only cost about $60.

I got a new coat too...

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
The issue, as I see it is that the sheets must be waterproof AND breathable. Don't know a product that does that :confused_color:

·
Super Moderator
14,747 Posts
Try using a re-waterproofing spray...
I use Camp-Dry myself.... I think I purchased it is Walmart.
I know the shoe department carries it as well as found in the sporting goods section for hunting/fishing and camping equipment.
Honestly, any spray-on waterproofing will help enhance what your sheet still has.
I do this yearly to just up the water-shedding ability of my horse goods.
I also do my own rain-jacket as well as my sons who works outdoors...his coat is now showing age and wear, but for work he doesn't care and it keeps him dry, period.
I also do my barn boots when they show signs of my feet getting wet... for boots if you don't mind darkening the leather Mink oil is fantastic to repel and replenish the leather.

So...I start with a clean, dry sheet or blanket....minimal filth on it.
Hang it or lay it flat out...
I do several thin coats in layers...
First one direction, then go opposite it...then go cross-wise, then cross-wise again.
Leave a few minutes between applications for the product to be absorbed into the fabric...
When done, there is a odor for a few hours...do this outside preferably.
My sheets/blankets don't leak.
They breathe and allow damp out but not to penetrate in...even if my horses are out in a driving rain their bodies stay dry...
For what a few cans of spray cost I can't justify spending $$$ for a new sheet/blanket... :frown_color:
This will buy you some time...
My sheets/blankets are years old, but all are in fabulous condition....most importantly, they keep my horses weather protected. :cool:
:runninghorse2:...

·
Administrator
36,137 Posts
I wash my blankets at least once a year and use an 'in wash' waterproofing solution that I put in on a 'rinse and spin' only program after the wash cycle is finished.
It seems to work OK

I do have an old washing machine that I use just for horse blankets but most of the people who run laundry services for horse blankets will re-proof in the same way

1 - 7 of 7 Posts