The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have all our plans in place to lease this nice older paint gelding (One in my profile picture), who both my mom and I love. At the moment we are saving up at least 6 months worth of lease and lesson money. But here's my thing; my mom loves this pony with a passion. She calls him baby, worries about his health, and generally likes to be around and spoil him. So I would like to include her in some way.

She cannot ride him as she is much too heavy for a pony and has a previous severe injury that stopped her from riding in her teens. I don't think he's broke to drive, and even if he was, there aren't any carts at my barn. My trainer says he'll love trick training and liberty work, so I could definitely do something with her to that extent. My mom also likes the show atmosphere and I was debating if she could do in-hand showing as his conformation isn't terrible.

The thing she most likes is grooming. She thinks it would be cool to be included, she'd be at the barn with me anyway, so why not. Is there anything not involved with actually riding that she could do/attempt? Thank you in advance. :)

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Grooming, tacking, like you said trick training or halter showing, obstacle training. But the type of injury may dictate even that. Can she take a hard push or jerk or a kick were she to be on the receiving end of one? If so, having her in control of the horse (as in in-hand showing) could put her at risk too.

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Grooming is a great activity, and liberty work can be too.

Maybe she just wants to be your mom and enjoy watching you learn and grow. Lots of moms are like that!

Maybe you could have a shirt or cap made for her, as a thank you for her support.

Use the horse's name, or even picture. "Sam's Mom" kind of thing.

73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Her injury only limits the mobility of her neck and there are some slight spinal issues, but those aren't as big as the neck. She can certainly take some roughhousing. But it's certainly not something I'd expect him to even think about doing. My trainer equates him to a preschool teacher and he is very experienced with teaching people basic groundwork. She might have trouble keeping him off her because he's so cuddly! ...But I don't think him getting aggressive is too big of a worry.

73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@AnitaAnne That's an appealing idea. I was planning on getting her a framed picture of me and him for her office, but she does enjoy her cringy t-shirts. 🙈
She's expressed interest in working/playing with him in some way, and I think it's a great way of bridging her back into her pony obsession phase! She likes to be involved. (and gets cold easily)

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
@AnitaAnne That's an appealing idea. I was planning on getting her a framed picture of me and him for her office, but she does enjoy her cringy t-shirts. 🙈
She's expressed interest in working/playing with him in some way, and I think it's a great way of bridging her back into her pony obsession phase! She likes to be involved. (and gets cold easily)
Maybe a framed picture of Both of you, and Sam (don't know pony's name) with that special T-shirt on!

Having a parent involved is a real blessing and you are one very awesome person to be so considerate and caring of your mother!!

All the best to you!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.