The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My horse is boarded at a farm where he is turned out 24/7, and he is fed hay in the winter and grass in the summer with the occasional round bale (he has enough food, don't worry, he's a fatty xD). He doesn't get any grain, and I don't plan on giving him any.
I'd really like to get some oils and flax seed in him for his coat (we show throughout the summer), but without giving him grain (I don't want to buy my own bag, and the barn owner would charge me for hers), I'm not too sure how.
Are there any treats I could give him, or a mix of something I could make?

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
If I want to feed my horse something specific, without giving grain, then I mix it with grated vegetables - beets, carrots, parsnips and such.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
As for the flax seed, you might try giving that straight to your horse if he's not a picky eater. I leased a horse last year who I could just dump ground flax seed into his feed bucket and he'd happily eat it. However, the horse I just bought won't touch it unless it's mixed in with other stuff.

I think Saranda's idea of mixing it in with grated vegetables is a good one.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
You can also grind up the flax seed if you aren't feeding to much with a pill grinder.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts