The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They're just the best in every way! So versatile, loving, and STURDY.

I want to see your beauties in action. What do you do with your big lovelies?
Oh and this is Cloud; he is a 9 yo Paint Belgian cross. He does a bit of everything, but his favorite is eating :D We dabble in Dressage from time to time as well.

Attachments

· Registered
1,245 Posts
Oooh, yes, good thread! Cloud is super handsome, and I love his name! :)

I have always loved draft horses and am lucky enough to own a half Shire half TB gelding named Navigator. He's eleven years old (twelve in April) and is 15.3 hands - even though his sire was a Shire, he was a pretty small stallion. We mostly just ride "for fun" and work on bettering ourselves, but just recently have started getting involved in my local dressage group and last April we went to our first show together! He's a super sweet and friendly boy and just loves being around people.

And now, pictures and video! :D

· Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Navigator is beautiful and so talented! I love how light he is and look at him jumping! *jealous

Reactions: NavigatorsMom

· Registered
2,309 Posts
I do not own one but absolutely love them! A friend of mine fostered two draft crosses last year and I couldn't get enough of them. The gelding was a lot of fun to ride too. Such big, smooth movement!

Cloud and Navigator are both gorgeous!

· Registered
3,986 Posts
Over the years I have owned/or ridden a few draft crosses and I found them to be nice horses, one I owned was a bit stubborn and had his own ideas but once we sorted these out, he was a great horse, honest,willing and dependable, they tend to be gentle horses and easy to work with but I did find some of them hard work when riding dressage a lot to keep together but nice when it worked.

· Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We have 3 . I cannot ride them, my hubs does in the arena. They are big strong and easy keepers.
Pretty one with the blaze :) wish we could see the others better!

· Registered
16,204 Posts

· Registered
255 Posts
love a good draft cross and do breed them - but it costs me more to produce them than the average buyer is willing to pay, so only produce one every few years or so as I feel the itch for a project.

sorry no idea how to post pics here

· Registered
7,994 Posts
Meet Fluffy (the grey) and Brimstone (the bay), who are both 1/2 Perch and 1/2 Arab siblings (same dam):

They are both endurance horses, though have also dabbled in eventing and fox hunting with their owner (riding Brim here).

Fluffy and I did our first 100 miler last August!

Brim is also a 100 mile horse, though now he is semi-retired from distance.

· Registered
2,245 Posts
I'll look around for pictures of our Belgian Arab cross. Gorgeous fella but a bit nutty.

He's 15 years old, never really done anything. We've put him in harness a couple times, and I've started him in the round pen and put a few good rides on him but he's very reactive and unpredictable. I don't think he'd ever be rideable in an uncrontrolled environment.

· Registered
12,038 Posts
Why can't you ride those horses, Stevenson?
Draft crosses are known for being mellow
The draft cross works well for many English disciplines, esp when it gets the right stuff from both parents. They also make good recreational riding horses, but lack the quickness for most western disciplines, and why I personally am not a fan of a draft crosses, as I mainly ride western
I did learn to ride on Percheron, as we used them in the tobacco fields, when I was growing up I have seen full siblings from a draft X TB cross, and they were nothing alike, a chance you take, when you use that degree of variability of type for either
One of those crosses, got the best from both parents, with the bone, temperment , size from the draft dam, and the refinement and movement from the TB
The full sister, on the other hand, had a draft build and movement, with the hottess of the TB sire
The best draft crosses I have seen, have been mainly Hot blood crosses (TB and Arabian ) , although there are exceptions, same as anything else

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.