The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Registered
7,588 Posts
Smilie.. the one mare is 15 not broke. The others are green. The largest came back from the trainer not much whoa and the trainer would ' buck him out ' to my horror and when I complained the said Trainer stated ' if you can ride a buck you can ride him" This was a trainer with a fantastic rep in this part of the state. The other mare has been out on the trail a few times, and when she spooks, she puts her weight behind it, and is to jarring for my old injuries..

· Registered
59 Posts
I've got a draft cross! To be specific a 1/2 tb, 1/4 Clydesdale, 1/4 Percheron lol
He just turned 3 in November, so still very much a baby in draft cross terms but he is very sweet and cuddly. I've only just recently started him gently under saddle and so far Reggie's taking it all in his stride. The main thing we've doing doing is trick training, just to keep his mind active and for something fun. He enjoys it too so picks things up really quickly. So far he can bow, kneel (down on both fronts), lie down and he's started learning a more 'classic' bow as a stretch for his topline and the beginnings of spanish walk (though that one will take a while to compile into a complete trick lol). Some of the images are linked because they were too big and I forgot to resize them.

Head shot
Trotting
More trotting
Paddock

· Registered
255 Posts
sprinters and turn on a dime are not often applied to draft crosses haha, though some of the guys around here have been crossing small draft mares (farm chunk types, not hitch type) to their quarter horse studs to get heavier horses for roping bulls and dealing with squirrely steers in the feedlots - use the qh for the skilled fast work, the crosses when an immovable object is needed so to speak.
you can get consistent results but you have to be very selective in your bloodlines, too many people think they can use any old broken down ottb stud and any draftish mares from the local meat auction and get a sport horse.
I breed for 3/4 or 7/8 tb and the balance in draft for low - mid level sport horses, they are not going to the olympics but for the rest of us they are talented enough and don't need a professional management program.
The mare below had been on broodmare duty and was a last minuite subsitute for this event, had been back in work about 3 weeks - did the baby level due to her lack of fitness, but packed around without missing a beat
Horse Equestrianism Bridle Animal sports English riding

Horse Bridle Show jumping Equestrianism Animal sports

Horse Bridle Equestrianism Animal sports Mammal

Horse Halter Bridle Equestrianism Animal sports

· Registered
12,038 Posts
Nice, and I can well see that the % of TB versus draft you are using works well, as that influence is in the beginning of modern Sport hroses, including foundation type apps that work well as Sport horses-like the Wap lines
I think one of the main problems, in draft crosses, is people that use any light type riding horse, like a stock horse and then cross it with a draft, thinking they then have a " Warmblood', when in fact , they have a Lukewarm!

· Registered
268 Posts
Wow...I can tell I'll be searching the web later for Draft X's for sale :eek:) These are all so beautiful! I like a tall horse...especially one with some meat on their bones!

· Registered
4,095 Posts
I love draft crosses and cob-type horses. Unfortunately, they're not common here (at least good ones with decent conformation aren't) and when they do pop up, they're snatched up quickly and go for high prices. I almost bought one last year, but he had previously foundered and had PSSM1, so full-time lush pasture wasn't an option for him, and I had to pass him up.

· Registered
12,038 Posts
Because of the diverse genetics, when you breed such different types of horses together (riding versus pulling horses ), the outcomes are also far more diverse then breeding like to like.
When you are lucky, you get the desired traits from both parents (athletic ability/refinement, movement from the riding horse, size, bone and quiet disposition, from the draft ), other times there are examples where that cross did not work, with a coarse looking horse, poor movement and the more hot temperament of that riding horse
The best crosses, JMO, is when a hot blood (TB, Arabian) is crossed with a draft.
Often a stock horse cross, creates a horse that is too 'drafty, JMO
I am actually thinking of adopting a yearling filly, from a local rescue, that has some draft, yet shows a lot of refinement, promising to have size and an athletic build

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.