The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a bit of a different situation. I have just purchased a 15 y/o Arabian mare. She was in foal through 2016 and delivered in June 2017. The seller has not separated them properly, though the colt was gelded. Other than the time he was gelded and post-recovery, they have never been separate. The mare I purchased is clearly attached to the the colt and I need some advice on how best to get her used to her new environment. My thoughts were to have her stall boarded for a month or so, and keep her separate from the big herd. I wanted to give her time to adjust to the location and so when she goes out, just put her in a small 3 horse group. But I am no trainer. Any advice?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I presume you have not taken the colt on as well. If you haven't, that is great and my advice would be to introduce her to her new mini herd as soon as possible. Keeping her segregated away from the other horses will only make the trauma of losing her "beloved" colt worse and might create some serious herd bound behavior when you do finally decide the time is right to introduce her to the other horses. Don't deprive her from her natural instincts. Training will solve any herd bound issues that may crop up.

·
Premium Member
16,046 Posts
If she is being taken to another facility then she is weaned from her foal.

Turn her out with the herd, just keep an eye on her udder to see that it is reducing after a couple of days. As the foal is older than with normal weaning she will not be producing as much milk anyway.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
So I have a bit of a different situation. I have just purchased a 15 y/o Arabian mare. She was in foal through 2016 and delivered in June 2017. The seller has not separated them properly, though the colt was gelded. Other than the time he was gelded and post-recovery, they have never been separate. The mare I purchased is clearly attached to the the colt and I need some advice on how best to get her used to her new environment. My thoughts were to have her stall boarded for a month or so, and keep her separate from the big herd. I wanted to give her time to adjust to the location and so when she goes out, just put her in a small 3 horse group. But I am no trainer. Any advice?
I'm assuming that she's not allowing him to nurse at 2 years old and you're talking psychological weaning. I would put her in a stall for a couple of months to give you and her time to get to know each other and bond. Then I'd add her to the herd at the new place. If she has been letting him nurse, then I would keep an eye on her udder for a couple of weeks to make sure there's no issue with mastitis.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.