The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just looking for some tips and stuff to work on with my 6.5 month old filly Sky. She's sort of been hanging out the past few months besides daily basic handling (haltering, leading, grooming, picking feet etc.) Want to start working with her a little more and start to get her used to things. Nothing that will overload her or stress her out though! She's my first foal so wanted to get some opinions from other breeders too. Thanks :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
23,642 Posts
My opinion? Handle her a couple/few times a week on the basics (leading, being respectful, letting you touch her everywhere) otherwise let her out to be a horse. If you have control of her front and hind end and she knows you're the boss and you can touch her all over, I'd call that a win. Too many people do too much with their youngsters. IMO they don't need it. Leave 'em be.
NOW is the time for them to learn how to be a respectful member of their horsey society. Let the youngsters be young, let them go out and learn that they are not the boss mare of their herd. My now 3 year old was out with a group of broodmares who put her in her place, and she still had other youngsters to play with. I think that did her more good than anything.

·
Registered
378 Posts
^^^ I agree with the above. The only thing I would add would be to teach her to pick up her feet. Don't hold them up to long but I would have her pick up all four feet every time you handle her. Your farrier will thank you.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I agree with not overloading them, but I have also incorporated balls, tarps, etc. no sacking out in any way, just letting them check it out. I also introduce them to the trailer ASAP. Lord forbid it's ever necessary but if there is an emergency it would be much easier if they have at least seen the trailer and even stood in it before. Tying, leading, feet, bathing weather permitting. You can work on a lot of things, just slow it waaaay down and realize they have very very short attention spans. Keep the sessions short, 15 min. And remember there will be days they absolutely don't want to cooperate lol. That's when you praise them for doing something well and leave it for another day. They can be a lot of fun at this age, enjoy!:)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for your thoughts! I appreciate it! I'm not planning on doing much more than I have been, which has been haltering, leading, grooming (her favorite! Haha) picking up her feet. She actually did have a visit with the farrier, just rasping her hooves so she could see what that was all about. She was great and stood like a champ! But other than that she's just been hanging out with her filly friend and getting to be a baby haha so fun watching them grow! Although they are both going through the awkward, gangly and wooly stage! Can't wait till they start to shed out, they are so HAIRY!! Thanks again :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh forgot to mention she has also been on a trailer. Her Dam is a easy loader and shipper so that made things go smoothly!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Oh forgot to mention she has also been on a trailer. Her Dam is a easy loader and shipper so that made things go smoothly!
Posted via Mobile Device
The young ones love to emulate the adults. When they grow up with well behaved horses you'll find that everything is 100x easier.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.