The Horse Forum banner

Wearing hiking boots horse riding?

1836 Views 29 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Gennaver
Hi, going horse riding soon. The place where I'm going horse riding doesn't have boots available, would hiking boots with heels work?

Thanks
Reactions: Terry will
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
143 Posts
Absolutely. If you can, try wearing half chaps too, at least with English saddles, to prevent the stirrup strap from pinching, a sock knee high can help with that too.
If you take a look at the photos in the trail riding subforum you'll see a lot of people wearing hiking boots.

They have a down side, because they're wider, so some narrow stirrups might not fit, and the sole might get hook up due to the spikes, at least in English styled stirrups, but in this case, the security release in the saddle takes care of it if an accident happens (knock on wood).

· Registered
2,029 Posts
I'm a NO as well. Hiking boots are made to be non-slip with deep treads. They're also very bulky and may make the stirrups too small for your feet. If anything goes wrong it's going to be tough to remove them.

· Premium Member
51,804 Posts
again, depends on tread. I"d feel safer in a tennis shoe with no heel than in a heavy boot with tread. The shoe will usually come off if you get cuaght in the stirrup, the boot will not. But the Ariat Terrains do not have tread/cleats. I have a pair , too. They are wonderful casual riding shoes.

· Premium Member
Horse loving mama in Texas
1,794 Posts
I wear the Ariat Terrain boot--it's a hiking boot with heels made specifically for horse riding. They are narrow enough to fit into stirrups and don't have a huge tread. And they last forever--had the same pair for years. Comfortable too.
I also wear the Ariat terrain boots, they are all I ever wear now, they are made to ride/work in, I wont wear anything else since they are so comfortable and I can wear them all day. My boots just sit in my closet, Ariat's are worn everyday.
Hiking boots would be a hard no for me since they are thicker and have more sole and deeper thread, I would think if someone is giving riding lessons and the client came to ride in hiking boots I would think they would be truned away for safely reasons.

· Registered
1,803 Posts
Someone mentioned Ariat Terrains. I needed shoes for my groom job that I could ride in too and these are amazing. They don't have the heavy treads. I'd hunt in them if they didn't reek of horse poop.

Reactions: bsms

· Super Moderator
18,554 Posts
So, a true hiking boot to me is a no for riding in.
True hiking boots are made to lace tight and apply firm, steady pressure to the ankle area so when hiking you not so easily roll your ankle. They are also several inches higher a fit on the leg, = restricts motion.
Riding boots allow ankle motion since as you ride your ankles are part of the "shock absorber" your body has to ride quiet astride.
I ride with Ariat Terrains myself....
No way do I consider these a real hiking boot, a walking boot...sure.

So, in reality for me if this is a real hiking boot then my answer is no because you will restrict your ankle to move and that will create pain for you and possibly a position of continual nuisance to the horse bumped with that boot in its side.
🐴...

· Super Moderator
17,185 Posts
They're no taller than many paddock boots and you can loosen the ankle area if needed.

We'd really need to see what the OP has in mind to ride in.

· Super Moderator
17,185 Posts
From past posts this isn't someone that takes lessons. They go on trail rides infrequently.

Ride in what you have that will work.

Reactions: Gennaver

· Registered
817 Posts
I started riding in hiking boots - as long as they lace in the front/no side zip should be fine (just make sure not to jam your foot in the stirrup; also potential chance it could be too wide for the stirrup but I never experienced that in all the years I rode in hiking boots). If you have or could borrow Bundstones, those are my faves for riding that also work for every day use. Snug fitting rubber boots could also work in a pinch.

· Registered
1,734 Posts
Hi, going horse riding soon. The place where I'm going horse riding doesn't have boots available, would hiking boots with heels work?

Thanks
I've been wearing army boots to ride with for 50 years. Riding boots and "cowboy" boots are the most uncomfortable things if you need to do any walking, so if you do any serious riding (where you might find yourself having to lead the horse and walk much) you want something that's more comfortable to walk in for more than a few yards at a time. And you don't need a big heel either (combat and jump boots have relatively shallow heels). English boots survived as a matter of style and traditions. "Cowboy" boots were worn by cowboys because they allowed for the pants legs to be inside the boot (protecting the bottom of the pants leg from excess wear or damage) and the large heels were strictly for fasion during that era (notice how English riding boots can have pretty shallow heels). The "cowboy" had little that was fashionable so they used whatever fasion style that would still allow for functionality. Large heels serve no real function for riding (although a lot of myths have been made up about them). Even comfortable walking shoes are good for riding.

Horse Plant Hat Saddle Working animal

Horse Plant Tree Halter Horse tack

Horse Helmet Working animal Horse tack Halter

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.