The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Some folks suggest to spray the just picked frog with a 75% water/25% bleach mixture.. each week.. to keep hooves thrush free? . does anyone do this? and would you still do this if there isnt a moisture problem, where your horse is confined to wet flooring etc? My horses feet are packed with poop each day. and he is picked daily and often 2x a day, after he is ridden He poops in one area of his stall and walks there as well as it is also a gate to turnout. and this area interests him. this cannot be avoided.. bad luck that he chose that area.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
you can get a product made to kill thrush. There are many out there. Note.. the green stuff stains. There is even a powdered thrush killer out there. .
bleach will dry out skin. I do add a little to troughs to clean out the funky moss.
You can use bleach in small amounts to purify water.
if you do use it, let it set until the smell dissipates before use.

·
Administrator
35,834 Posts
I wouldn't use it on a horses foot - it does kill bacteria and fungal infections but its too drying to use as a thrush preventative.
So many affordable purpose designed things on the market now that are safer and very effective and beneficial to the hoof

·
Registered
8,362 Posts
There are multiple other choices, I wouldn't use bleach unless I planned on thoroughly rinsing the area shortly after applying it. I use hibiclens or providone to scrub them out - and I always rinse well right afterword. Consider cleanng then "packing" them with the 50/50 goo..it has stick power and isn't an irritant.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
I wouldn't. I did at one time when I was battling thrush, but never as a preventative. Now I don't even use it for thrush. If you're looking for a preventative, I would go for an antibiotic cream instead; brush it right in there. I use a stiff toothbrush.

·
Super Moderator
23,217 Posts
Sounds like too much stabling & wet flooring is the issue that needs to be addressed. I too wouldn't use bleach or other heavy chemicals as a preventative. Salt, T-tree, ACV are good preventatives/mild treatments. Salt and garden lime(dolomite) is also helpful for drying out feet that are in too wet environs. Especially if the horse always gets bad crud in his feet - it's not at all bad for hooves to get packed - can be really beneficial (you might also pack the sulci & any separation with clay or such after cleaning & treating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.